This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

second hard disk for Kubuntu and bootloader query

I have been running Kubuntu on an old PC and have been most impressed (apart from the speed of the PC). I have now bought a second hard disk to put Kubuntu onto my fast Windows XP machine in a dual boot set up. I am very nervous about upsetting my Windows system even though it is regularly backed up to an external HD.
    * windows backed up and 2nd hard disk physically installed but I understand I do not need to format it - is that correct? ( The Kubuntu installation CD will partition and format it automatically I think)
    * My concern is what happens with the bootloader and what choices do I have.
    * Does Kubuntu recognize the first HD as having Windows XP on it and that it is the primary HD that the bios will look to boot from it? Does Kubuntu automatically (and safely?) put the bootloader on the windows hard disk?
    * I read in a linux book on Mandrake saying that with this set up to put the bootloader on a floppy so the Windows HD is not modified at all. That sounds good, but is it an option in Kubuntu? How would one do it? Thanks for any replys.

Re: second hard disk for Kubuntu and bootloader query

Hi,

In fact, if during installation process you will choose to use all second drive, it will format second. You can also use the manually partitionning tool... then it will not touch your windows disk (take care of not touching your disk with ntfs partitions)
    Second point, you can install grub without any trouble, it will not touch really windows partitions just "master boot record" (mbr) of this disk. If you will want to rollback to "no grub" boot loader, you will just only have to do : fdisk /mbr (in console of windows) or in windows install cd recovery mode.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
    X