This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make xscreensaver autostart

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this........................

Trying to get xscreensaver to run automatically at startup so I don't have to manually start it every time I boot. I have seen on the forums you just add a softlink(?) to it in your ~/.kde/Autostart.

Would someone be good enough to explain slowly and precisely how I do this, please.
    I know it's not a big deal, but it's a minor annoyance to me on an otherwise lovely system, and I'd really like to find out how you do this.

Thanks in advance
    Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Re: make xscreensaver autostart

Just trying to get this up the list again in the hope that someone may help me with it.
    Cheers (and sorry if i'm being a pain)
    Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

If I understand what you are saying right I'm puzzled because it should autostart anyway - have you selected the screensaver through the system settings? Have you downloaded your screensavers using adept?

Comment

Thanks for your reply, analyticalman. The screensavers were downloaded from the repos with synaptic. When I restart my machine, I have to go to Settings->Screensaver-> and there is an XScreenSavers window which says "Warning : The xscreensaver daemon doesn't seem to be running on display ":0.0". Launch it now?" I hit the ok button and everything works well. As I said, it's not a big deal, but it would be nice if it would just start without me having to do that. Thanks for your time.
        Cheers
        Lowey

Comment

Well - there's an answer here - dunno if it'll help - or as I'n supposed to say YMMV

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...124#post682124

Comment

Thanks again for your reply, analyticalman. The problem I have, being very new at this, is exactly what to add to ~/.kde/Autostart and how exactly do I do it. I know it's probably a very simple procedure but sometimes us old blokes need a fair bit of steering in the right direction.
            Cheers, Lowey.

Comment

Try this

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man1.html#10

Remember - Google is your friend!

Comment

Thanks very much for your time and patience, analyticalman. That has done the trick for me. I can now turn on my machine and have the cows bouncing without any interference from me.
                Cheers (and thanks again)
                Lowey

Comment

Working...
                X