This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U will go mad wen u get this problem!!

i login by entering password succesfully at the start of loading of os. .

But wen i try to enter password in the terminal(especially wen doin sudo commands) it doesnt get entered(the cursor doestnt move).

wen o type password in the terminal nothing gets displayed(i mean cursor remain there itself without accepting the password).i typed the password(i coudnt see it) and pressed enter . it says wrong password.

so i thought there was some problem and changed the password ...still i am facing same problem and also i reinstalled kubuntu(as i am a newbie).....still i am facing similar problem...............................plzz help friends...

Re: U will go mad wen u get this problem!!

try using su instead of sudo.

the password will not display when you type...will not even show ***** like other places you enter a password...this is a security feature so someone looking over your shoulder wouldn't be able to tell the number of characters in your password.

edit: use of su above is not correct - sorry

Comment

To change your password, you have to use the "passwd" command. If you did not use that command, then you did not change your password.

As almax00 says, you will not see anything on the screen when you enter a password in the terminal. But it is recorded by the system, so when you press "Enter" it is accepted (if you entered your password correctly).

Also, remember that Linux is case-sensitive. You must enter your password EXACTLY as you first created it.

Comment

One more thing - keyboard layout! Check it first, before entering password - I found a strange bug in ubuntu, where part of the keyboard (about 1-2 keys) cannot change away from slovak, while the rest of the keyboard switches between english-slovak correctly.
        Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Originally posted by myxal

I found a strange bug in ubuntu, where part of the keyboard (about 1-2 keys) cannot change away from slovak, while the rest of the keyboard switches between english-slovak correctly.
          Wow - I never even thought of that! If you're using multiple language keyboard "layouts", you sure as heck better be putting your password in with the same layout that you used to create it/change it last!

Comment

i enter the password succesfully at the start of os but wen i try to enter it using su command...its coming authentication failure

Comment

Kubuntu doesn't recognize the "su" command, you have to use sudo (you can run as root with the code "sudo su", but you still have to use the keyword "sudo"). Try using the sudo command again, and when prompted for your password, very carefully and slowly type it in (being mindful of upper/lowercase letters and symbols).

Edit: I do agree with you, however, if that bug does exist (very unlikely, put possible nonetheless), and I ever do get it, I would most definitely go mad.
              Asus G1S-X3:
              Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I recently had a similar problem, and I'm I've been using Kubuntu/Ubuntu for quite a while. On on of my PC's I logged out of Kubuntu and restarted to log into XP. The Windows login page would not take my password. Tried everything. My windows password is all alpha characters and my Kubuntu password is all numerical. Drove me crazy. On a whim, I switched keyboards. Fixed the problem. The keyboard I was using was fully functional in Kubuntu, but for some reason, it was not working in windows. Strange eh!

Comment

There is only one instance where the su command is understood in (K)ubuntu.
                  That is if you are root. (Terminal: sudo bash).
                  To revert type in terminal su [name].

Comment

SU(1) User Commands SU(1)

NAME
                    su - change user ID or become super-user

SYNOPSIS
                    su [options] [LOGIN]

DESCRIPTION
                    su is used to become another user during a login session. Invoked
                    without a username, su defaults to becoming the super user. The
                    optional argument - may be used to provide an environment similar to

SUDO( 8 ) MAINTENANCE COMMANDS SUDO( 8 )

NAME
                    sudo, sudoedit - execute a command as another user

SYNOPSIS
                    sudo -K | -L | -V | -h | -k | -l | -v

sudo [-HPSb] [-a auth_type] [-c class|-] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid]
                    {-e file [...] | -i | -s | command}

sudoedit [-S] [-a auth_type] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid] file [...]

DESCRIPTION
                    sudo allows a permitted user to execute a command as the superuser or
                    another user, as specified in the sudoers file. ...

Just extracts from executing man su and man sudo from the CLI. New users (to Linux in general) should know that learning how to run a command from the CLI can be gained by using the man command (man=manual). You will be presented with the Linux Manual page for the command you want help with.

Typeing man man from the CLI will give you information on using the man command.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                    X