X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network missing

hey,

its the first time im using linux, after a long time...so a can say that im a newbie here.

i have my laptop, toshiba with pentium 4 at 2,8 GHz, with 512 RAM and Nvidia Geforce4 420 Go with 32MB DDR.

i was using windows xp, and my internet connection was a 2mb adsl based on a router/modem.

after formatting xp and installing kubuntu, there is no network at all, and i dont know how to enable my network card.

A good friend told me to go to settings, internet & Network, network settings and access administrator mode.

The thing is, even when i type my password and press ok, the previous screen is still the same, i cannot choose the ethernet device, in order to enable it.

What am i doing wrong please give me any advise that you can

thanks in advance

valentinos

Re: network missing

no reply yet

well, i notised that there also and some other areas that i cannot login , while im using the correct password. and before you ask, no there is only one account, the one created with the installation.

for example i enter the password for administrator mode, and then again the page shows:

"changes in this section requires root access.
    Click the "Administrator mode" button to allow modifications"

what can i do??

Comment

Patience, my friend...

Try pressing Alt+F2 (to get a Run dialog up), and running:

kdesu kcontrol

You'll be prompted for your user password. This should load KControl (the "proper" KDE System Settings, which seems to work better) with root privileges. Then do as your good friend suggests.

Comment

Using alt-f2 kdesu kcontrol will work, but it does not address the problem really. It's still there, it's just been gone around.
        I have had the exact same problem before, but eventually I will brake something beyond hope and reinstall, and it's not there in the new install. Sometimes, not often, but sometimes that problem where the custom kcontrol will simply not allow me enter administraitor mode the proper way.
        I do have one theory as to what may cause it though. Perhaps something was upgraded and a reboot has not happened yet. I'll try to test that if it happens again.

Comment

Hi,

Are you using kde 3.5 ? If not this password trouble is a known issue...

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X