This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gnome

have gnome on ubuntu, but want to add kde....will this change any of my settings? Anything I need to know before I take this step?

Re: gnome

I believe you want to add Kubuntu rather than straight KDE. I am almost posotive if you dload a Kubuntu install disk, that all you have to do is put it in the drive and ubuntu will detect it and ask if you want to install kubuntu.

I just looked, and kde is not installed on my Kubuntu, so it looks like to just install from repositories you want;
    Kubuntu-artwork-usplash
    Kubuntu-default-settings
    Kubuntu-desktop
    Kubuntu-docs
    Kubuntu-konquerer-shortcuts
    Kubuntu-live

It won't change your settings [I am pretty sure it won't]but it will clutter up your menus.

Comment

Re: gnome

Originally posted by sosailor
      have gnome on ubuntu, but want to add kde....will this change any of my settings?
      No, it won't. But a whole bunch of KDE applications will flood your Gnome menus, and a whole bunch of Gnome applications will flood your KDE menu.

Anything I need to know before I take this step?
      Yes. Installing KDE or kubuntu-desktop will install KDE and its associated applications. However, uninstalling kde or kubuntu-desktop will not uninstall KDE at all (or any of its associated applications.

The safest way to install KDE if you're unsure about whether you want it is to open up a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
      Before saying yes, highlight all the packages to be installed and copy them to a text file that you save in a safe place.

If you ever get sick of KDE and want it uninstalled, type
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove
      and then paste back the contents of that text file.
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
      X