This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! I broke Kubuntu!!!

In the course of my messing around and trying different things in Kubuntu, I seem to have made a fatal error. I enabled the system setting that causes the system to hibernate when the lid is closed, when I clicked "apply", the system started acting strange, eventually causing me to have to cut the power. Now I cannot boot into kubuntu. If I try to boot into it normally, It fails at the first splash screen, at "loading modules" or whatever the first thing it does is. I tried recovery mode, and then tried to boot into the UI, and got much further, however, as the desktop is loading, the screen will suddenly turn black and the HD activity light ceased, eventually causing the system to turn off. I figure my only hope is to do some work at the terminal that comes up when booting into recovery mode, but of course, being so new to the system, I don't even know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Help! I broke Kubuntu!!!

my newb suggestion is to look at the xorg.conf file, not sure where that is located either.
    apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

Luckily for me, one of my classmates is a Linux kernel developer...

If this happens to anyone else, when GRUB loads, edit the boot command, and add norestore after what is already there. This was enough for me. If this doesn't work, I was told to remake the swap, by typing mkswap <name of swap partition device> at the recovery console.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Walken
        my newb suggestion is to look at the xorg.conf file, not sure where that is located either.
        /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Comment

Working...
        X