This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inconsistent wi-fi connection

A little background, as this is my first post: I installed Kubuntu because I just started taking an intro to unix course, and although we do our class work on a knoppix live CD, I wanted a permanent installation to play around with for my own edification and entertainment. Tweak it every once in a while, begin to feel comfortable with it, and you never know, maybe eventually get to the point that I use it as an operating system, not just a toy.

My issue:

My ability to use wi-fi is very inconsistent. These are a few issues with my wi-fi experience-

-Every time I boot the machine, I have to go into system settings and re-enable my wireless card. In other words, the setting does not seem to stick after a reboot. (I have that issue where I cannot click on the admin mode button, but i just access the settings from the terminal as root and that takes care of it).

-Every once in a while, perhaps every twenty minutes of usage, I have to disable and re-enable the use of the wi-fi card in order to regain connectivity. Not turn off and on the card through kwi-fi manager, that won't do the trick, I have to go into system settings and disable and re-enable it.

-In the kwi-fi manager, I can't seem to find out how to select a network to connect to out of all of the available networks. It just seems to pick one on its own and connect. Usually it connects to mine, but sometimes it will connect to the neighbors', so I have to turn it off and on and let the wi-fi manager randomly pick another network untill I get my own. When I click on available networks, it usually only shows the one im connected to. Sometimes if I hit it at just the right time, it will show all of the networks actually available, but doesn't seem to allow me to select one to connect to, it simply lists the names, and that's all.

If I could get my wi-fi to work consistently and effectively it would be a huge step in beginning to be able to use and appreciate Kubuntu in more depth, something I look forward to greatly. All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Inconsistent wi-fi connection

Hi,

So to fix all this, you should enter all datas in /etc/network/interfaces for your interface (you have to know it before). To know which is your wifi interface, type in a console : iwconfig
    You can edit the config file by :
    kdesu kate /etc/network/interfaces
    then, you should enter a paragraph with this, just under the paragraph starting by auto lo :
    auto <name_of_wifi_interface>
    iface <name_of_wifi_interface> inet dhcp
    wireless-essid <name_of_your_wifi_network>

This should work, if it's not, can you copy the output of the following commands please ?
    ifconfig
    iwconfig
    cat /etc/network/interfaces

Hope it will help.

Comment

Unfortunately, that did not fix anything. As of today, my situation has gotten worse, and I can rarely if ever use the network. It does the thing where if I click "enable interface", it shows as enabled for half a second and quickly goes back to disabled. It is close to unusable, which is why I am posting from Windows, and unable to report the results of the command you requested.

Comment

I did some additional searching of the boards, and found a solution to my problem (well, kind of a solution). Typing in sudo dhclinet <deviceName> where <deviceName> is the name of my wireless device (in my case, eth0) enables the interface (and has worked flawlessly every time I have tried, even if systemsettings is being an idiot). I should perhaps look into writing some sort of script to accomplish this at start-up every time.

When I told a friend I was looking into using Linux frequently, I think he put it very well by saying, "Linux has come a long way as far as desktop usability is concerned, but it still makes you type something in every once in a while, just to make sure you still know how."

Comment

Hi,

I'm happy that you solved your trouble, but you can avoid to type in this every boot time. by adding the line
          iface <deviceName> inet dhcp
          wireless-essid <yourWifiName>

Then comment out all other lines about <deviceName>

If you don't know how to do it, you can copy/paste your /etc/network/interfaces. I will try to point out to help you.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X