This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with sound

I am having trouble getting my sound to work. I found this in the file/hda2/etc/modprobe.d file. This is the driver for my old sound card. If I am reading the line correct, it says not to install the driver. Do I just delete the "ignore" and then save the file?

install snd-azt2320 modprobe --ignore-install snd-azt2320 && /lib/alsa/modprobe-post-install snd-azt2320

Just a note, I went to the wiki about sound and tried to follow the directions about setting up sound cards. Did: "sudo modprobe snd-azt2320" and that worked. The next step according to the wiki was to: "sudo gedit". I tried that and it said command not found.

This is an install on a reallly old computer (HPVectra VL6/266). I know it can work though, because in Mepis3.3.1 way back, I ran alsaconfig or configalsa (I don't remember) and it found the card and installed it. Can't do that here though.

I sure would appreciate any help on what to do here.

Re: need help with sound

how are you guaging if the sound works, are you using an mp3 file on amarok or something?
    apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

Well, when I start Kubuntu, I get this when desktop starts:

Sound server informational message:
      Error while initializing the sound driver:
      device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
      The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

Kmix comes up with a big x on the speaker

Comment

I had this error message when I tried to create a second user account on my system. The second user couldn't use the sound driver. Try going into system settings > Users and Groups and checking that your user account has 'audio' as one of its groups. If not add it under modify (if you're using the graphical tool). It worked for me is all I can say.

--Rich

Comment

I have this fixed here. Did a google on my particular sound card and found some additional information. I will describe the steps incase anyone else might have the same problem. (Don't you just hate it when post just stop and you don't know what was done to solve the problem?)

1 I went to wiki page and searched for sound.
          2 Went to: How to Setup Sound Cards
          3 Located my card driver listed at: http;//www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Howto/BootPrompt-HOWTO-8.html
          4 Wrote it down and in terminal typed: sudo modprobe (soundcard driver)
          5 Opened up System>storagemedia>drivekubuntu is on>ect
          6 Scrolled down to modules (way down, don't stop at file folders, keep scrolling on down to individual files
          7 Went to: Actions>edit as root
          8 Added (soundcard driver)space(location, *mine was: isapnp=0*)This is also where I googled to get additional information because my bios didn't tell me the location of the soundcard (really old computer).
          9 Rebooted the computer and volia! sound and kmixer working!

I sure hope this helps someone else learning Linux and Kubuntu. Fairly new to the Linux way as I have been with Windows all my years.

Comment

Working...
          X