This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual booting / shared hd

I have kubuntu and unfortunately ive come to the conclusion that some of my programs must be run on windows; theres no way around it.

so....is there a windows emulation to run windows software on linux....and by emulation i mean complete operating system (not wine).

if not, and perhaps anyway, id like to setup windows and kubuntu in a dual boot situation. i just watched a video on how to do it from scratch, but i already have a nice kubuntu setup and i dont want to erase it....but i will if i have to. is there a way to install windows on top of kubuntu without it effing everything up?

next...how do people access windows files from linux? should i just set up the xp partition as a fat32 instead of ntfs and then use some software im unaware of?

ive also read that a 3rd partition should be made and left blank for files to be transferred to....should i do this?

apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Re: dual booting / shared hd

Hi,

if you're looking for complete emulation for windows (without great graphic acceleration), you can use vmware (not free software) but it's working nice.
    If you want to install a dual boot, you don't need to reinstall kubuntu after, just take care of respecting this steps :
    - make place on your disk and create an empty partition (look out on numbers of primary, no more than 4 is allowed for windows). If you will create this partition on the beginning, change all datas in your linux, to fix it, like grub.
    - install the windows system by chosing the empty partitions you've made
    - restart from install cd, chose rescue, go through few steps and reinstall grub (never checked this, but "whoami55" was speaking about this in another post
    - then come back to windows and install the driver from http://www.fs-driver.org/, then you will have full access to your linux drives from windows. From linux you will need to copy datas from windows to linux before to modify them.

Good luck

Comment

Re: dual booting / shared hd

it was a rocky trip, but i got here. all is done.

i dont understand the linux side of accessing windows files....i am now accessing linux files from windows, but i dont see what you mean the other way around.
      apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

Working...
      X