X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No connections with my Breezy on a notebook

Hi everybody,

I installed since not a long time Kubuntu 5.10 on my notebook and I cannot connect neither with the ethernet card or the wireless. I can guarantee that both these devices work because they do so on win and because before having a Kubuntu I used for a short time Ubuntu and also in that case it worked.
    I think that the cause of the misbehaviour is that when I installed kUbuntu I was not at my home and I used the connection available there. In order to do so I used the pppoeconf tool because the italian DSL provider wanted a user name and a password and I didn't know how to set them with ifconfig. The problem is that after that time I cannot do nothing with my wireless card or my ethernet. For example I'm writing from the computer in my office. Plugging the ethernet cable in my notebook doesn't provide any result; once it was just enough to plug it in that DCOP (I guess it was that) assigned me a IP address. Now no way. Actually the problem seems bigger: with KDE -> System Settings I cannot enter in the Administrator mode. Again, before doing the trick with pppoeconf I could, now it asks me the password, I enter the password of my user and then it comes back to the non-admin window
    I don't remmber exactly the error message but trying to play around for the problem I received a complain about the status of my DCOP server. But it seems fine to me, in my home there are all the necessary files like
    .DCOPserver_SickPenguin__0 and also the symlink DCOPserver_SickPenguin_:0
    Again, everything is connected for me because if I go in KDE->System Settings -> Network Settings all the network devices are switched off and until I am not in admin mode I cannot change the situation.
    Another thing that I tried was to type from shell
    user@SickPenguin:~$ ifup eth0
    /etc/network/interfaces:23: misplaced option
    ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

I tried to be as much complete as possible, please, can somebody help me?
    Thank you

MeltDown

Re: No connections with my Breezy on a notebook

Hi,

it's seems that you have some error in your /etc/network/interfaces file on line 23.
    Can you check it ? If you don't know how, just copy/paste the content of this file here...
    cat /etc/network/interfaces (from a terminal)

Cheers

Comment

As one could expect at line 23 of /etc/network/interfaces there is

pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line mantained by pppoeconf

I will try to comment it, but I think that the problem is more basic relating to this issue of the DCOP server

Comment

OK, in this way it works !!!! Now I'm writing from my notebook
        But the problem on the DCOP server persists. Ideas for giving me the opportunity of accessing the admin mode on my own pc?

Thanks to sky!
        Bye

Comment

Working...
        X