Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I install Kubuntu from the Hard drive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I install Kubuntu from the Hard drive?

It's possible to Copy a windows CD onto your HDD, then using a boot floppy, getting the command prompt up and directing it to "setup.exe" or something like that in the windows folder containing the contents of the origional CD. Windows will install absolutely fine from the hdd like this.

Can I do the same for linux? - copy the contents of the iso onto my HDD and use a win98 boot disk to direct it to the linux folder with the contents of the cd?

The reason I ask is I have a laptop running windows 98 with no cd-rom, or Floppy drive but it has Wi-Fi connected to my main computer. I could use the Wi-Fi to copy across the contents of the Kubuntu install cd iso after opening the iso in Deamon Tools (or similar), then (laptop/win98) restart, press f8, choose command prompt only, then goto the folder and install kubuntu on another hdd partition and dual-boot with the win98 already on the laptop

I hope someone can make sence of this!! I looked around the forum before posting this, but couldnt find anything like it posted before. hope someone can answer this one cheers

Re: Can I install Kubuntu from the Hard drive?

Hi,

it's really hard point you're trying to...
    I don't think that without floppy and cd, you will be able to install kubuntu... Because by pressing f8 on boot, it will not help to install linux as you will already be in Windows...
    One lead would be to use a usb key (if you have usb ports on this laptop...)
    Don't know how to do, but I guess, you would be able to boot on netinstall and then start to install...

I wish you good luck, sorry I couldn't help further...

Comment

Thx for the speedy reply

It does have a usb yeah, just the one...which has the wireless "dongle" in it for Wi-Fi.

I suppose if I choose "restart in MS-DOS mode" that'd be no good either...but i'll give a few things a go, and report anything i find

thx for the good luck sky, lol, might just need it!

Comment

Re: Can I install Kubuntu from the Hard drive?

Bilived

I have been in you situation before, and could not solve it. I was a desktop with no working CD. I ended up buying a cd drive.

Look for info on booting from a USB key in www.ubuntuforums.org (whenever it comes back, it's been down for a day or so). I read posts of successfull install from a usb key. That's the best solution I found for your problem ...

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X