This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intial upgrading after install of the 7.04

i have a desk top i have been playing with setting it up to dual boot with win xp and linux. and i have a few questions mixed into these problems.

problem 1. when i get both installed win xp works fine. i try to do the initial upgrade on the linux side and when i do this i am on dial up. i will either get disconnected before the upgrade finishes.

can i break up this upgrade into smaller upgrades?

problems 2. when i am doing the initial upgrade or try to do a full upgrade and i maintain internet connection. it will lock up adept and or crash. is there something i could be doing in the way i set up the pc before the install? i have installed linux one time by its self the first time i tried it and it upgraded just fine but since i have it set up using duel boot i have not had any luck getting it to upgrade at all. i have installed and removed both linux and the win xp thinking it might just be a glitch i have adjusted the partitions here and there thinking i may be not be giving one or the other enough space. still not having any luck.

i am open to any suggestions or help with this. i don't know what else to try at this point. i can add and remove programs as long as i do not over load the dial up and keep it under 25 items per change at a time. my upgrade is starting out at 124 upgradable and 4 installs for the initial one

Thanks

Re: intial upgrading after install of the 7.04

1. Just open up adept package manager, click 'full upgrade', click 'preview changes', then just select all the ones you don't want right now, right click and choose cancel changes. Then just 'apply changes' to install those you have left on the list.

Getting the rest of the packages later is just an obvious variation of the above.

Comment

I don't know other's opinions about this but, if things are running properly, I don't feel one has to upgrade linux. It isn't like windows where, if you don't run the updates, your system is likely to become a security nightmare.

If your connection goes down the system should resume where the downloads left off the next time you try to upgrade. Or you can certainly upgrade only a bit at a time as marshallbanana states. Adept should take care of dependencies for you.

Comment

The downloaded packages will be cached for install. You can reconnect and start again from where you left off provided you don't clear the cache or reboot.

I would do as suggested and try to grab the updates in smaller bunches just to avoid headaches.

eriefisher
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Thanks marshallbanana thats what i was doing wrong, Duh lol i was trying to remove them instead of just cancelling them.

opie that was the problem it wouldn't resume where it left off it would lock up or shut down the adept program using my dial up service when it would lose connection and the next time i tried it again i would have to start all over again from scratch. but with marshallbanana's answer it helped me figure out what i was doing wrong, and it is working now.

the question i have for you now is this. when i cancelled some of the upgrades i found i had some that being removed will they come back noext time i upgrade or will i have to search them out and hand pick them? Thanks

Comment

As long as the package is still installed it will show if an update is available.

eriefisher

Comment

thats was the problem eriefisher it was locking up the adept program and i would have to reboot to get the program to function again. at that point i was back to square one again. and i agree it does get bad when you keep the bottle of Excedrin beside the keyboard. lol

well thats what im not sure of because it shows that 5 are being removed but i can only see one and when i change it back to be installed i still show 4 being removed yet they are not able to be viewed. Thanks for your help

Comment

Before you try to update again install Synaptic. I found synaptic easier to use and navigate for package management. It might help with your dial up situation.

eriefisher

Comment

ok thanks i'll get that done now. hope to upgrade soon to high speed but at least im learning to work out all of the bugs on dial up if i ever return to it they are taken care of now.

Comment

Working...
                  X