This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox and video codecs

So, Kubuntu (Ubuntu) still won't include video codecs in the install?

How does one install the codecs? I went to Adept Manager and installed what I thought were the codecs (I choose all video-oriented programs and packages) but I still can't play a video.

Also, I cannot install Firefox. I get a msg:
    Could not commit changes - Adept Manager
    There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages.

C'mon, this is Firefox! Only one of the most used programs on *EVERY* computer. This is unacceptable.

I'm totally turned off Kubuntu from this. I was hoping they would include codecs (Mint does it, why can't Kubuntu) but now I have no idea why Firefox won't install. Why would something break from installing one of the most popular web browsers?!?

If I can find a breed of Debian that works with wireless, I will switch. I have had problems with codecs with previous Ubuntu versions and it is disappointing, the problems/issues are still there.

Re: firefox and video codecs

Originally posted by kbunt
    So, Kubuntu (Ubuntu) still won't include video codecs in the install?
    Nope.

How does one install the codecs?
    Enable the Medibuntu repository:

http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/

Click the "Repository How-To" tab, open a Konsole window, and (one at a time) copy and paste the two commands that appear under "7.04 Feisty Fawn" (assuming you have installed either Feisty or Gutsy).

Once you have done this, open Adept Manager, click "Fetch Updates" to refresh the package list, then scroll down and find the w32codecs (if you are running 32-bit) or w64codecs, and any other of the proprietary packages you may want.

Also, I cannot install Firefox. I get a msg:
    Could not commit changes - Adept Manager
    There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages.

C'mon, this is Firefox! Only one of the most used programs on *EVERY* computer. This is unacceptable.
    Well, that's a problem, for sure. Have you had any other problems installing packages with Adept? Is there any reason to wonder if your package database is corrupted or broken? If in doubt, here are a series of commands that usually clear it up:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    If it looks like any of these is producing "action" on your system, when you are finished open Adept Manager again and mark firefox for installation.

Hope that helps!

If I can find a breed of Debian that works with wireless, I will switch.
    Well, good luck with that -- I haven't seen anything that makes me think there is an easier distro out there, when it comes to wireless stuff.

Comment

Fetched 6988kB in 24s (284kB/s)
      E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
      E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

for w32codecs:
      Could not commit changes – Adept Manager

I hereby declare this as 'conflict hell.'

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
        E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
        This is the problem -- not conflicts, but a package manager that thinks it is already in use.

Close everything but a console window, then run the series of commands that I listed above, and see if it clears.

Comment

$ sudo apt-get autoremove

I didn't run anything else, just the terminal.

Edit: As an experiment, I then closed the terminal and went to Adept Manager and received this msg:
          Database locked – Adept Installer
          Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).
          Would you like to attempt to resolve this problem? No will enter read-only mode and Cancel to quit and resolve this issue yourself.

This is ridiculous.

Comment

This is the file that needs deleting.
            so
            Code:
             sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
            you don't need to kill the gui to fix this

you may find the search function here may help you in this, as this problem has been addressed many times, as well as the video codec issue.

If I may, I would suggest waiting for Gutsy (if you are not already), as the Adept in newer versions doesn't have this problem you are experiencing as often (at least not from my testing), and it has easier mutimedia support. It is not our fault (but is ridiculous) that these codecs aren't really legal in many countries for distros to include, but at least they have made it as easy as they can to install them on our own.

Comment

I am using Gutsy. I installed it yesterday.

Delete this file?: /var/lib/dpkg/lock (Remove the "lock?")

Comment

Yes, try that. The lock file is to prevent more than one package management app running at the same time. Sometimes, if for some reason the package manager does not close 'cleanly' the old file is left behind, preventing any package manager from running.

If you keep seeing this problem, I suggest installing Synaptic, an alternate package manager that has been around a lot longer than Adept and is therefore a lot more "developed" I would say.

Comment

Thanks, everybody! I deleted that lock file and you were right about that. Don't ask me how I got all the rest to work, though! lol! Anyway, I googled and kept at it, trying to figure which files and codecs were needed. I probably shouldn't do this, but although I was quite certain on some, others I just chose to include in the install. Anyway, I think 'demux' and a bunch of lib-files were needed. I can play avi files and dvds now. I should really document this or find a 'how-to' or tutorial for downloading the required codecs and files for playing video files in the various video players in linux.

Comment

as per the link I put in my first post, installing the package kubuntu-restricted-extras , (along with the medibuntu stuff), will get you pretty much everything you need.

This type of package is called a meta-package. It sole purpose is to depend on a certain group of defined packages, so that they are all installed. You may want to install that just to make sure they are all installed

Comment

Okay, thanks.

Will that package install what's needed to play iso files? DVD iso files is the only thing left that I can see that won't play.

Edit: I installed VLC and can play (DVD) .iso files but can't in Kaffeine. Kaffeine gives a message that it can't find a demux file for xine.

xine Error - No plugin found to handle this resource (/**location /etc. /etc.*/DVD_Image.iso)

xine: couldn't find demux for >/**location /etc. /etc.*/DVD_Image.iso<

Anyone recognize what's going on here? I can't figure out what is missing. I can play DVDs, avi files and other video files fine.

Edit2: There was a DVD in the DVD burner but after I play it, no matter what file I choose from Kaffeine menu (from hard drive/folders), it keeps playing the DVD. If that wasn't strange enough, after I take the DVD out, now when I try to play a DVD iso from the hard drive, I get this message:

07:45:24 AM: xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:///media/cdrom0]
                      07:45:24 AM: xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:///media/cdrom0]
                      07:45:24 AM: xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator
                      07:44:56 AM: xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd://0.0]
                      07:44:56 AM: xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd://0.0]
                      07:44:56 AM: xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator
                      07:43:55 AM: xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:///media/cdrom0]
                      07:43:55 AM: xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:///media/cdrom0]
                      07:43:55 AM: xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator
                      07:43:29 AM: 200 frames delivered, 1 frames skipped, 0 frames discarded
                      07:43:21 AM: xine: found demuxer plugin: AVI/RIFF demux plugin
                      07:43:20 AM: xine: found input plugin : file input plugin
                      07:43:04 AM: xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:///media/cdrom0]
                      07:43:04 AM: xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:///media/cdrom0]
                      07:43:04 AM: xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator

I think that is probably more common as I think I've seen something similar after googling this problem. Imho, Kaffeine is extremely buggy. I have no idea of what to do now. The behavior seems different than the error messages of missing a demux plug-in.

Edit3: New problem. Ah, forget it. I think Kaffeine is probably the WORST program in Linux.

Comment

well, you don't 'play' an iso, it is just an image of a cd/dvd disk. you can mount the file as a drive or folder and go from there . There is a gui for this called kiso

And for dvd playback, often you need to install libdvdcss (from medibuntu (legal issues gain)
                        Often I fhave seen users try the xine player (package called xine-ui) and have better luck.. Kaffiene is using the xine player's backend

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/
                        and
                        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs

has some info that may help there. Look for stuff about feisty, Gutsy is not much different in the files you need.

while I have no probs with Kaffeine, many do agree with you about it. Luckily, there are many others to choose from

Comment

Working...
                        X