X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install question

Hello all.

I just downloaded and ran Kubuntu and I must say I am impressed, everything works. Which brings me to my question. I am planning to install it, I have XP dual booted with Mepis. My Mepis partition is divided into Root 15 Gb 509 mb swap and I have a FAT32 partition of 4Gb (probably too much), I am thinking of using Kubuntu instead of Mepis, will the installer recognize the Mepis install and write over it? Is there anything I should know before I run the install disk? BTW I am also impressed with the level of expertise shown by the people who answer questions and they don't talk down to posters.

Re: Install question

yes it should recognize the other operating systems. careful how you partition though, and i dont know how you would go about configuring the bootloader to work xp into it.
    apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

Re: Install question

You will have to Manually Edit the Partition Table during the installation.
      You should also know what exactly your Mepis partitions are (/dev/hda2, /dev/hda5, etc.) so that you can choose to install Ubuntu exactly over Mepis (and not your Windows partition).

This tutorial assumes you have just Windows and need to resize it for a dual boot, but a lot of the same principles apply, and it has screenshots and explanations.
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
      X