X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie problems with monitor and bootloader

Greetings, everyone.

I've recently installed Kubuntu 7.04, but i've ran into some problems:

1. I can't change the refresh rate for the monitor. I have a geforce 6200 graphics card, with a Samsung 793DF. The system defaults to custom monitor, with a generic vesa card. If i change these settings (from system settings->Monitor & Video Card) and click Test, i get either a grey screen or weird green lines. Is this a driver problem? And if so, how can i fix it? I've tried changing the driver settings in the Choose graphics card window to nv (this is the nvidia driver, right?), but doesn't seem to work.

2. When i boot up, i get some weird messages about the bootloader backup configuration being different from the current configuration. Any idea how i can get rid of them? Previously, i've had an opensuse distro installed, but formatted the partitions when i installed kubuntu, so i suspect that might be the reason.

Re: newbie problems with monitor and bootloader

I'd say do the following:

1. Leave the KMenu>System Settings>Monitor&Display closed -- just pretend it doesn't exist.

2. Download and install the Envy script installer, use it to install the Nvidia proprietary driver, and use the Nvidia driver utilities to set your screen characteristics. Here's "how-to:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Comment

Thanks

Thanks a lot, that fixed it.

Comment

Working...
      X