This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM Lenovo G40 - Upgraded memory and Internet does not work

Hi there - yesterday I upgraded the RAM on my IBM G40 from 512 MB to 1 GB, and now Kubuntu Internet does not work.

I can send email from Kmail...

I could get on the Internet before upgrading the RAM, but now...

I had Dansguardian, Tinyproxy and Firehol installed. Removed all of these without success.

I even re-installed Kubuntu 7.04 fresh on the laptop, and still could not connect to the Internet.

I can ping www.google.com, but cannot user Conqueror Web Browser to get to Google.

(I am hopeless when it comes to networks and hardware...)

Please help

BTW M$ Win XP can connect after the upgrade - so probably not a hardware issue?

Re: IBM Lenovo G40 - Upgraded memory and Internet does not work

I'm kinda-sorta shootin' blind here, but can you update? If you can, try installing another browser like Firefox and see if you can connect to google. If Firefox works, then I would say the problem is in Konqueror's configuration.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hi - I tried

sudo apt-get update

It hits the servers but doesn't get a response - if that makes sense?

Cheers,

Comment

This may sound completely off beat, but go with me on this. What graphics card do you have? Might it be Nvidia?
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Nope its Intel - embedded for the G40

Could this be a driver issue for the Intel mother board or the embedded Broadcom ethernet device?

BTW - I connect via ADSL model, which is then connected to a router (for VOIP) which is what the Kubuntu box is connected to. I have tried resetting both modems/router without any luck.

So strange that Kubuntu had no problems prior to the memory upgrade...

Comment

I've found sometimes a corrupted driver can prevent you from connecting to the internet in the GUI, so try to update your system straight from the terminal (no GUI).

1) Open Konsole and type the following code (note: before you do, make sure all your information is saved as this will kill the window):
            Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
            2) Update your computer:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
            3) Bring your GUI back online and see if you can surf the web:
            Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
            Let me know how it goes
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

OK - I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Could it be my network settings also? I can use K Network Manager and it appears to connect OK also,

Also - I have VMWare Server installed. Could it be that there is some hard coding on some VMWare (or any other Kubuntu) services running (for example MAC Address) that is preventing the internet connection?

Comment

Instead of using KNetworkManager, try System Settings; I've read some posts that discourage using KNetworkManger for general connection purposes. If you still don't have a connection, check your Network Settings in System Settings and make sure your connection is enabled.

If that still doesn't work, click on this InternetHowTo link and follow the steps according to your connection to make sure your connection is set up correctly.

Let me know how it goes.
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

OK - thanks so much for your help on this

Comment

I don't have an answer but lets be clear about what is known and get confirmation on this.

You have an internet connection working because:
                    A. You can ping
                    B. kmail works

You say apt-get failed
                    konqueror fails

So some gui apps are able to connect out and function and some aren't
                    Some command line tools function and some don't

Is this correct?

I believe apt-get uses http port, so the fact that apt-get and the browser fail, and ping and mail (different ports) don't is probably an important clue.
                    You say that you reset the modem and router. This complicates things. Can you clarify whether the behavior described (apps that work and don't) was exactly the same before the modem and router reset and after? Or have the specifics changed slightly before and after?

Comment

Hi all - I found what the problem was

The router is having a dummy spit when I connect to it with Kubuntu (works fine with Window$). So probably need to reconfigure the router.

I tested the above as when I connect directly to the modem there are no problems. So that is what I am doing now - the Kubuntu box is connected via USB to the ADSL modem, and everything is OK.

Thanks all for your help - maybe one day I will play with the router settings to sort this out properly...

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                      X