This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to force an app to close

How do you close an application after it's crashed? I have this problem repeatedly with Open Office. Is this specific to OO (a bug?) or is it a problem in Kubuntu? I don't remember it ever being so bad in Debian. It constantly crashes and I'm used to 'ending task' in Windows. I know there is a way using the command line to 'force' it to close or 'kill it' but I don't know how (yet).

Re: how to force an app to close

If an app has truly crashed, there may well be nothing left running to close. You can check it out by looking at the running processes. As in many Linux operations, there are probably 5 ways to do this. In Kubuntu, I use the KMenu>System>Ksysguard utility, and click the "processes" tab, to see what's running.

To give yourself the power to kill a running process that you see in Ksysguard, you'll need to run it in Super User mode, so that is done by doing Alt-F2, then entering
    Code:
    kdesu ksysguard
    The "kill" button is in the lower right of the Ksysguard process tab. Use it judiciously.

Comment

Here's a couple of handy (default) shortcuts:
      Ctrl+Esc (to bring up a task list where you can kill processes)
      Ctrl+Alt+Esc (Changes your cursor to 'kill', and you can click on a window to kill it)

you can use 'kill' and 'killall' commands in the CLI, if you prefer, more info on those commands in the man pages.

Comment

If you know the actual command name you can use

Code:
        ps -C command_name
        This will return the process ID (pid)
        which you can then use with kill

If kill doesn't seem to do anything it is often because you don't have proper permissions to kill the process.

You could find the command name easily the first time by checking system guard while the application is running.

Comment

Working...
        X