This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection is dead

Last night, my Internet connection was working. I started up Kubuntu this afternoon and all of a sudden, I cannot access the internet at all. I don't have a firewall and I don't see what could have changed since last night. What can I do?

Re: Connection is dead

Did you made any upgrade on system between this two times ?
    Can you make a test with another system ?

Comment

No, I didn't do anything in between last night and today. What do you mean test with another system?

Comment

I meant by using another Operating System like another distro installed or xp if you have it installed...
        Is kubuntu the only system installed on your machine ?
        How are you connected to the net ? usb modem ? Router or ethernet modem ? Cable modem ? another computer ? wifi ?

Comment

I'm running a dual-boot with XP, but Windows doesn't recognize my Linux partition, so I can't run any tests from windows.

Comment

Ok for it, but do you have access to internet from this computer ? I assume yes...
            Can you give more details about your internet access like previously asked please ?
            Do you get an ip ?

Comment

For my internet access, I have an ethernet card to connect to an ethernet network and it works when I boot XP, but not in Linux (as I said it worked last night but not today)

Comment

It's been suggested to me that I can reconfigure my connection either via an interface or terminal console in order to restore internet functionality. Anyone have any idea how I can do that?

Comment

I have also noticed that my mounted drives no longer appear in konqueror. maybe there is something that is causing all-around faulty connections?

Comment

ah, I love this little bit of code

sudo dhclient eth0
                    and if that doesn't get you up and running try going to System Settings >Network Settings

click the 'Administrator Mode' button at the bottom

enter your password (same as login)

single click 'eth0' to select it

click 'Enable'

do the sudo dhclient eth0 again

SEE IF THAT WORKS. Made it longer than it has to be, yes... but it gets the job done.

Comment

That's good idea.
                      If it's still not working can you output the following commands :
                      ifconfig
                      cat /etc/network/interfaces

Comment

Nothing happened when I tried that. I can try and post the output of the second one, but it was really long.

I wonder if there is just a general connection problem because remember, none of my mounted drives are showing up either (including cd drives)

Comment

I have the same problem. Today I did an upgrade (kde3.5) and now I have to type sudo dhclient for my regular ethernet card to be able to browse the web.

I checked my other kubuntu system, which I recently upgraded, and the ONLY package that needed upgrade was "katapult". I didn't upgrade, and internet is working on this computer without having to sudo dhclient. I may upgrade that package and see if that's related.

A way to add this line (sudo dhclient) to a bootup script would be great, but since it needs a 'sudo' it's not within my knowledge to do.

Comment

try this
                            sudo ifconfig eth0 down
                            sudo ifconfig eth0 up
                            sudo dhclient eth0
                            thats worked for me

Comment

If you upgraded to kde 3.5 it may be a problem with the file hwdata.

from the mepislovers site

"f you did an upgrade of all your programs and then find out you lost sound and ethernet detection, you got that problem because you upgraded the hwdata package. Solution is to open a terminal and then type su to become root then type modprobe and follow with the name of your ethernet module. That will load it and then do ifup eth0 after to get it back up. Then add that module name to your /etc/modules file (it's a file not a folder) and do a modprobe on your sound card module too and add it to the same file. This will allow the modules to be loaded at boot and you then will be able to use them again.

If you don't know the name of the modules for your sound and ethernet devices then just boot with your SimplyMEPIS livecd and then open a terminal and type kudzu -p and look for Sound and Network sections. The driver name (module) will be listed for each."

www.mepislovers.org

Comment

Working...
                              X