This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total newbie with Linux :( Need help

Hey fellas...I hope someone can help me.

-I switched to Linux on my home computer. I installed Kubuntu 7.4 It found everything right, with exeption of fan control on my Sony Vaio desktop. It's little frustrating because every instruction I found on how to make this stupid fan from running constantly was very complicated for someone who came from Windows world.

Anways,before I went with install of Linux, I backed everything up from my Windows install to external Maxtor USB hard drive. That drive is in NTFS format. I have absolutely everything on it and would like to move it to my local hard drive. I ran into some problems.

First, I finally figured out how to "mount" the thing. BTW, why doesn't linux do it automatically?

But now, I have a problem with accessing it...when I double click on the icon that was put on my desktop, I get an error:

Unable to enter file:///media/sdc1. You do not have access right to this location.

Ok fine, so I guess I need to give my user name access...when I look at the properties of the drive I see permissions:

Owner is: root
    Owner can view content
    Group is Forbidden
    Others are Forbidden

Now, I assume I would have to give ME a permissions to this drive via root. The problem is, I don't know how I thought if I logon to my dektop as root, I could do it, but it tells me that "ROot login is not allowed" WHY? Why am I so locked out of this thing? I understand that it's so I don't mess anything up, but don't let me logon? I don't get it....

I am frustrated... I really would like to keep Linux and learn it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Total newbie with Linux Need help

Oh, so I tried to follow some instructions from here, and I tried to mount this HD with some additional commands, now when I open up my Konquerer, I see drive in there with name:

uid=1000,gid=1000

I can't get rid of it. It's just a folder. How do I get rid of it...

when I do fdisk -l I get this:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot   Start     End   Blocks  Id System
    /dev/sda1        1     729   5855661  83 Linux
    /dev/sda2       730     853   996030  82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders

/dev/sdb1        1    19457  156288321  83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdc: 137.4 GB, 137437904896 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 16709 cylinders

/dev/sdc1        1    16709  134215011  7 HPFS/NTFS

Comment

See if there's any help in this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084679.0

Comment

WOOHOO!!! I figured it out.. I used the guide:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it...I finally got the damn thing going and I can see files in it now...

Oh yeah baby!! I am copying ALL my stuff to linux...no more Winblows for me... hopefully :lol

Comment

Pretty cool!

As far as the folder goes, open Konsole and type "sudo rm -rf /(whatever the directory name of the folder)"; say I wanted to remove a file called "abc123" located on my desktop, I would type "sudo rm -rf /home/username/Desktop/abc123" (replace "username" with your username).
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
            Pretty cool!

As far as the folder goes, open Konsole and type "sudo rm -rf /(whatever the directory name of the folder)"; say I wanted to remove a file called "abc123" located on my desktop, I would type "sudo rm -rf /home/username/Desktop/abc123" (replace "username" with your username).
            Hehehe that worked!!! Thank you so much!

Man, I really need to learn all these commands.

I do love the fact that when I need certain software, all I do is sudo apt-get install yadayadayada....and it does it for me.

Speaking of which...how do you guys figure out what the name of the software is? For example, if I wanted to open up adept manager via konsole, how do I figure out what to type in the konsole for that program?

Thanks again! I am sure I will have lots of big questions soon. lol I need to figure out now, how to install MS Office with Wine. I been trying for 3 days but I get some weird wine errors..

Comment

Best not to try to delete a mount point folder while something is mounted on it.

Comment

It seems as though most programs can generally be run from Konsole using their names (i.e. Firefox can be run from Konsole as "firefox", or Adept Manager can be run as "kdesu adept_manager" [use the "kdesu" command here because Adept needs root access; also use "_" for the space between "adept" and "manager"]) You can usually look at the app's README or /doc for its specific command and options to run with that command; once you have the command, you can also usually type the command followed by "-h" (one dash) or "--help" (two dashes) for additional options you can include when the command is run (for example, if I wanted to know the additional options I could use with the command "apt-get", I would type "apt-get --help" or "apt-get -h"; then, say I would like to use the "update" option with "apt-get", I would run the command "sudo apt-get update" [again using "sudo" because apt-get requires root access]). Ignore the " " marks when typing commands, they are only for reference and clarification purposes in the thread.

Note: In case you don't already know, only use "sudo" - command line - and "kdesu" ("kdesudo" in Gutsy) - GUI - for applications that require root access, not with general, everyday apps such as "Firefox" or "OpenOffice.org Writer".
                Asus G1S-X3:
                Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
                X