X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB cantenna driver install

Hola....another FNG

I have been banging around with Kubuntu in the recent weeks. My Kubuntu box is a desktop machine sans wifi card. Right now, I have a Ethernet cable going from the router to the Kubuntu box. The cable has to go before someone trips over it and damages some hardware.

I have a USB cantenna that I occasionally use when outside with my Windows laptop so I can pickup my router. The cantenna came with Linux driver and I am trying to get them installed on Feisty Fawn.

I need a little help shedding light on Linux commands as I am very green.

Per the cantenna driver instructions:
    2.2 Build and install the driver
    The package contains drivers for ZD1211 and ZD1211B. If you doesn’t have specified request, both of them will be installed. Under the extracted directory, there is a Makefile in it. Because our driver can support for kernel 2.4 and kernel 2.6, there are two sets of rule in the Makefile. One has to modify the Makefile according to the path of “kernel source tree” and the version of the kernel in your system. In the Makefile, you may see the following statements,

# if the kernel is 2.6.x, turn on this
    #KERN_26=y
    #KERNEL_SOURCE=/usr/src/linux-2.6.7
    # if the kernel is 2.4.x, turn on this
    KERN_24=y
    KERNEL_SOURCE=/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8

If you want to build the kernel under the kernel of 2.4.x, one has to set the variable KERN_24=y and comment the KERN_26=y like that as the example above and modify the variable KERNEL_SOURCE to the path which you install the kernel source. After doing these things, one just need to type the “make”, and the driver module will be generated and installed.
    I am running Feisty Fawn so I uncommented KERNEL_SOURCE=/usr/src/linux-2.6.20 and updated the code to show KERNEL_SOURCE=/usr/src/linux-2.6.20. I commented out the 2.4.x lines of code.

I believe the part I am having problems with is the "make" statement towards the end of the quoted text. How do I comply with the "make" command?

If I didn't provide enough info, LMK.

TIA from a FNG

Marmot

Re: USB cantenna driver install

Anyone...Bueller?...Bueller?

Marmot

Comment

You will need the package "build-essential" from the repos in order to install from source. Once your in the directory you extracted the files to just type "make", no quotes.

eriefisher
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Installed the "build-essentials" package. I issued the make command. It seems to die when this message displayed - error: linux/config.h: No s
        uch file or directory

Any thoughts? Is more info required to make a proper diagnosis?

Marmot

Comment

Working...
        X