X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get Torrents Working?

Hello there

I'm having trouble getting torrents working, I've searched the forum to see that I'm not alone and thought I'd ask for help before going ahead with anything

This is my second install of Kubuntu Fiesty Fawn, on the first install I had a problem with torrents where in either Azureus or KTorrent, the downloads would start but then just decide to stop downloading at random and wouldn't continue until I closed the application and started it again? Also I had to download Firestarter and worked out how to make an acception for Azureus/NAT which got them to at least start downloading in the first place

I have now fully reinstalled Fiesty Fawn and now have a fresh clean install, what do I need to do to get torrents working as they should? Going by other posts in this forum I need to forward some ports from my router/modem? Haven't a clue on how to do that but my modem model is an NTL: 250 Cable Modem if that helps in anyway

Do I need to download fire Firestarter again and open up that NAT port again? How do I get it all running smoothly?

Cheers,

Rob

Re: Get Torrents Working?

It has nothing to do with your Kubuntu installation. The probable cause is that you need to forward the ports in the correct way.
    To avoid messing up with your router configuration, Ktorrent have available a plugin called UPnP that will open the necessary ports for you, the thing is that you need to load it manually.
    Here is how:
    Open Ktorrent
    Click on Settings
    Click on Configure KTorrent
    Click on Plugins
    Scroll down until you see something called UPnP. Click on it to select it and then click on Load

This if course should be done only one time, I mean that you don't need to do it eveytime you open KTorrent, the setting will stay active.

That should do it

Keep us informed

Greetz

MepisReign
    Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

That worked quite spectacularly, downloading the new Heroes as we speak at full speed - Many thanks MepisReign

(Simply Mepis 3.4 was the first distro I ever tried last year, very good it was too)

Comment

Oops, spoke too soon - I'm getting "Port 6881 is blacklisted" with any of the private torrent sites I use, will I just download Firestarter and make an allowance for port 6881?

Comment

I suggest you just change the port to something else - anything between 1024 and 65535 will do.

The reason (probably) is that, 6881 being the default port for bittorrent, it may be blocked to:
          a) prevent P2P
          b) avoid attacks that target bittorrent clients
          Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Ah right I see, changed it to 1337 and its fine now - cheers

Comment

Working...
            X