This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernelisation;;

Is it at all possible to install, and boot with, a 64bit kernel from inside 32bit Feisty Fawn. If so, which one would I need to install? I'm using an Intel processor, by the way.

Sorry if this seems vague, but this is wholly new to me -_-v

Re: Kernelisation;;

IIRC intel precesors are 32-bit
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

It's more complicated than that ...

The Core 2 Duos, Extremes, and Quadros are 64-bit, and I think some of the Pentium 5 family are too. You'll have to do the research on their site to sort it out precisely. The term of art is "EM64T" for 64-bit Intel processors.

Comment

It is indeed, according to the Intel website at least, a 64bit processor. But I need some clearing up

I was having a look through Adept, and it had Generic Kernel Headers (x86-64), and the one that is currently installed is 2.6.20-15 Generic x86-64. Does this mean it enables the 64bit part of my processor, or that it something else is required/going on? Also, if the above is not the case, what is?

Sorry for sounding silly, but Kernels are just a bit too far into the deepend for me, and when it comes to 64bit CPUs, well, I'm just as bad

Thanks for any help

Comment

I think the answer to your question is "Yes", but, would you open the Konsole and enter
          Code:
          uname -a
          and post the output, just so we can see what's running?

Comment

It said:

Code:
            neville@ussr:~$ uname -a
            Linux ussr 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:36:31 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Comment

Meh -- that didn't help. But, comparing your view in Adept to mine (now that I'm home and can look at my system), if it's showing the 64-bit kernel as installed, that answers the question. The package manager configures itself according to the architecture that you have chosen, so if it's showing 64-bit kernel installed, that's what you have.

Comment

I can't find a smiley blank/shocked enough to suit my face. This is madness. So far I've only had to install a video card driver, not even any updates, and it seems to have just moulded itself around the computer so that it just works.

It's GREAT!!!!!!!! (Although the shock has yet to wear off )

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                X