This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why wont these files delete

just switched over from mandrake, and i have to admit a few things are not quite acting as i was used to on mandrake....specifically file install/uninstall.

so i had firefox and a flash installer for firefox, i felt like deleting it all. note, i already untarred but unsuccessfully i guess, both files. i deleted the tarballs fine, but the directories for the flash and firefox are still there.

the error message is telling me that i do not have access, and it is saying that the files are actually in the trash ./local/trash/share/files/firefox. it wont let me delete any specific individual file in either of these directories....not even if i do rmdir in konsole as root, or rm any file.
    apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Re: why wont these files delete

Howdy, Mr. Walken!

The problem is you don't have enough cowbell.  Here's how you get more cowbell...

post back the output from the following:
    Code:
    ls -al ~/.local/share/Trash/files/
    ...and
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/files/*

Comment

i did it in that order but my terminal cut some of it off for some reason, i hope this is enough. i still got the fever

total 12552
      drwxr-xr-x  2 mrwalken mrwalken    4096 2006-01-17 22:56 .
      drwx------  4 mrwalken mrwalken    4096 2006-01-17 21:45 ..
      -rw-r--r--  1 mrwalken mrwalken 4157078 2006-01-17 22:39 gaim-1.5.0-0rh9.i386.rp            m
      -rw-r--r--  1 mrwalken mrwalken 8660250 2006-01-17 22:43 gaim-1.5.0.tar.gz
      -rw-r--r--  1 mrwalken mrwalken    3780 2005-10-05 09:39 konsole.desktop
      mrwalken@rrcs-~$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/files/*
      mrwalken@rrcs-~$ ls -al ~/.local/share/Trash/files/
      total 8
      drwxr-xr-x  2 mrwalken mrwalken 4096 2006-01-19 14:04 .
      drwx------  4 mrwalken mrwalken 4096 2006-01-17 21:45 ..

id also like to add a few noob questions that dont deserve their own thread. how do you add a show desktop button to the menu bar, how do you get the home icon on the desktop.
      apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

The only other thing I can think of is that it's referring to your /root directory instead.  I don't know what you did there.  So,

sudo rm -rf /root/.local/share/Trash/files/*

...and that will hopefully get rid of those files in your trash can.

For 'show desktop' button on menu bar, I dunno.  If you want it on the kicker panel, then it's an applet you add with right click > etc.

For home icon on desktop, fire up konqueror and type 'system:/home' in URL, drage icon next to the URL to desktop, and click 'link here'.

Comment

right on, theyre finally gone, show desktop is on my menu, home file on desktop. thanks.

EDIT: odd situation here. i made the icon on my desktop to go to home, it takes me to /home/mrwalken/Desktop/mrwalken and my real home is /home/mrwalken. and guess what, the files that wouldnt delete are at /home/mrwalken

at a terminal i tried doing rmdir and it wouldnt let me because "the directory is not empty"

Comment

You guys just made my night.

Christopher Walken rocks. --the real one. I can't vouch for this Kubuntu forum imposter. I only know HIM 6 posts worth. But if he's a fan of the real CW, then he's already got something going for him.

Comment

chris walken uses kubuntu :P

what about these files? i dont hear the cowbell

Comment

Working...
              X