This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP WITH INSTALL!!!

While installing kubuntu i got a message saying that the grub loader wont install and that the installation failed. I didnt specify a swap partition if that mattersCan anyone help mePlease?
    Kubuntu 8.04 <br />Dual-Boot w/ XP<br />Intel Core 2 Duo E6500<br />nVidia 8400GS 256mb<br />2GB DDR2<br />Ubuntu User #21847<br />Linux User #467409

Re: HELP WITH INSTALL!!!

No swap=no Linux
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Fintan, I think you win the "Most Succinct Answer" prize for today!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Fintan, I think you win the "Most Succinct Answer" prize for today!
        (Which still won't help the asker...)

@linuxlvr:
        Probably you did not let Kubuntu choose it's own setup, but you selected manual partitioning in the installer?
        If so: linux needs at least partitions for the root ("/", file system=ext3) and for swap (file system=linux-swap). I would personally also make a partition for "/home" (file system=ext3), which will hold all personal files of each user after the installation.
        The swap partition should be about 2-4 times as big as your RAM and will be used in addition to the RAM.

If you are not sure what to do, let Kubuntu choose!
        Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Johan is absolutely right.
          The swap partition should be about 2-4 times as big as your RAM and will be used in addition to the RAM.
          but more than 1GB of swap is simply a waste.

There is a very long discussion of the need of swap. Just put Linux swap into a google search and have a look. But now and for the foreseeable future linux wants swap. Just like your windows needs its virtual memory to run. In fact if you try to turn your vm off in windows you will a lot of fun.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            Johan is absolutely right.
            but more than 1GB of swap is simply a waste.

There is a very long discussion of the need of swap. Just put Linux swap into a google search and have a look. But now and for the foreseeable future linux wants swap. Just like your windows needs its virtual memory to run. In fact if you try to turn your vm off in windows you will a lot of fun.
            agree, but if you plan to use "suspend to disk" then make swap at least 1.5 times as big as ram

Comment

Working...
            X