This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Integrated Network PRO/Wireless 2200BG LAN not connecting

But I suppose that's normal for the newbie forum area, yeah?

So anyways, it's about something that appears to pop up quite often here on the board, and that is about Wireless internet issues.

Now, I went to this thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...88632#msg88632
    and I tried that and nothing worked.

Kubuntu is picking up my wireless card, but will not let me enable it. When I try to enable it, it tells me "The default Gateway IP address is invalid"

So I'm not sure what this means. Wireless internet is absolutely not something I am good with...if anyone could just let me know how I can get Kubuntu to allow me to enable my wireless device, that would be fabulous.

Thanks in advance guys. Also, sorry if this has been answered previously and I missed it. I tried to find it on the forum before I asked. If it's in a previous post, could you link me to it? thanks

Re: As usual...a New guy

What will be helpful/needed, is your setup. Desktop or laptop. Wireless adapter make/model and type (PC card, PCMCIA card, USB, ...). Make/model of your wireless router.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by meccil
      Kubuntu is picking up my wireless card, but will not let me enable it. When I try to enable it, it tells me "The default Gateway IP address is invalid"
      I don't have a wireless adapter, but AFAIK "gateway invalid" is not a problem with wifi at all - this is a problem with IP settings... see if you can find a way to configure these (in KNetworkManager>Manual Configuration>Network Interfaces, select your wifi adapter and see if you can configure it, if it uses "auto" or "DHCP" configuration.
      Or, just go to konsole, type ifconfig -a and paste the output here.

[offtopic] Please consider renaming the subject of this topic to reflect what we're talking about - "As usual...a New guy" doesn't really say anything about the problem and people browsing the "help the new guy" board will have no idea...
      [/offtopic]
      Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Hey everyone thanks for the responses. I apologize for lack of info/good title. Not only am I new to Linux and what-not, but I also never spend time on forums. Anyways, here goes...

So, I've got a Compaq Presario V2000, and it has an Integrated Network PRO/Wireless 2200BG LAN (802.11b/g) modem.

Now, I have gotten to the point where I can see the wireless router I'm trying to connect to, and I click connect, and it gets to 28% and says it's configuring the hardware, and gets stuck there. My computer is still not assigning any IP address...and I'm not sure why. Anyways, hope that helps you all, and hope you guys can help me.

Cheers

Comment

First off welcome and I have to agree. Changing your title to something like:
          Integrated Network PRO/Wireless 2200BG LAN not connecting
          would definitely make it easier for people to help you. A forum is a place where people get/give answers so the more precise the question the more useful the answer.

Having said that, I don't have wireless so I cannot help you on that point. Sorry. But I am sure I have read something about that problem somewhere here So do a search on the forum and google for your card and see they spit out
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

As to when your card comes back with the response it is looking for the network gateway your router is set up with most are 192.168.1.1. As for Knetowrk manager I am haveing the same issue it picks up my WPC11 card and works to try to connect to my personal router but is not always cooperative. If your rouser is useing WPA it could be that your settings are incorrect. If your useing WEP the password or settings could need to be tweaked. (newbie here as well) but learning real fast

Comment

(newbie here as well) but learning real fast
              yeah. It seems like you HAVE to learn real fast, or you don't get anywhere! ha!

So do a search on the forum and google for your card and see they spit out
              I did look around on the forum, and found the info in the link that I supplied in my first post...but that didn't seem to help. I'm thinking about giving it another go.

As for googling the card along with linux, I found something that said it was supported by Ubuntu as long as I had to install the "wpasupplicant" from the "universe" repository. I checked in Adept, and it says I already have wpasupplicant installed, and so I'm wondering if it may be a problem between Kubuntu and Ubuntu? Not sure if there's enough of a difference to make that a problem.

It did say some configuration required, but I wouldn't know where to start beyond what I've done already...

Comment

To change the topic title:
                go to your first post click on modify and change the title.

When you get links from searches please post them here so that others can follow up and maybe explain further.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: Integrated Network PRO/Wireless 2200BG LAN not connecting

Thanks for the tip on changing the title, Fintan

When you get links from searches please post them here so that others can follow up and maybe explain further.
                  I did post the only relevant link in my first post, but here it is again: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...88632#msg88632

I'm about to do another search. we'll see

Comment

Do you know if have your router set up for dhcp?

Are you still getting the gateway error or have you solved that?
                    If not have your tried setting the gateway ip (under kmenu -> system settings -> network settings -> routes tab) to your router address, typically 192.168.1.1 ?

Is this a simple home network involving one router connected to a broadband modem or is it something more involved with multiple access points, routers, switches?

Comment

Opie

I'm not sure if the router is set up for dhcp. I should find out. I'm actually at my school, which is the only real place I have for internet access.

As for the Gateway error, I did put that IP in, and that took care of that.

As far as I know, there is one router here, connected to a T1 line, but I should ask to be sure.

My computer is registering the my integrated wireless card, but still isn't giving it an IP address, I don't believe. I have to manually search for the wireless network, but once I do, it shows in Knetwork Manager that it's picking up the wireless signal, but gets stuck at "28% Configuring Hardware".

I've been reading that I may need to install the windows driver for the wireless card and use "ndiswrapper" so I suppose I should give that a shot?

Comment

"I've been reading that I may need to install the windows driver for the wireless card and use "ndiswrapper" so I suppose I should give that a shot?"

I would hold off doing that.

Are you trying to connect when you are near the router? If you are a considerable distance from the router and you can try from a closer location I would try this.

At this point I would install and try wlassistant . It is in the universe repository. If you have questions about how to do this post back.

If you can't connect after configuring wlassistant (wireless lan assistant) try (in konsole; give sudo your normal user password):

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

This may take a couple of minutes so give it time.

Try to connect again.

Comment

KNetworkManager has not had 100% success for wireless management (as has been reported by other users in the forum). Open Adept Manager and see if KWifi is installed. If not, install it and see if you can't get further along in connecting to your wireless router. Please post your results.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                          X