Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to wake up the computer from sleep with keyboard/mouse?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to wake up the computer from sleep with keyboard/mouse?

^(topic subject) Is there a way to do this permanently? I found that I can run the acpitool with some switches to enable wakeup by these devices (and it worked), but after reboot the ACPI settings were reset.
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Re: How to wake up the computer from sleep with keyboard/mouse?

Open KMenu>System Settings>Advanced>System Services, and take a look at the table of running (and paused) services that are started at bootup, and their descriptions. You might want to judiciously, one at a time, set the most likely culprit NOT to start automatically (you'll need to click the Administrator mode button and give your password). You can right-click on them to toggle the "autostart" function.

Be careful -- just do one, and then test thoroughly and decide if you want to leave it disabled or turn it back on. It's one of the power management services.

Comment

umm, "culprit"? Is it not just that the system boots to "default" acpi settings? If I don't use the acpitool, I won't wake up the system by keyboard in the first place!
      Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

I run a desktop, not a laptop, so I'm not super-proficient with the power saving stuff. But, I'm aware from reading the many posts on the general topic that there is a whole "family" of power-management services and tools (powernowd, cpufreq, acpi, apic, blah blah blah), and it sounds like one or more is working at cross-purposes with your hardware. Possibly a review of which of these are running, versus what you want running, and a little careful experimentation could shed some light? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          I run a desktop, not a laptop,
          me too!
          Originally posted by dibl
          so I'm not super-proficient with the power saving stuff. But, I'm aware from reading the many posts on the general topic that there is a whole "family" of power-management services and tools (powernowd, cpufreq, acpi, apic, blah blah blah), and it sounds like one or more is working at cross-purposes with your hardware. Possibly a review of which of these are running, versus what you want running, and a little careful experimentation could shed some light? Just a thought.
          the thing is, there is no "culprit" IMO. I didn't install any power-related services beyond what is included in the vanilla installation. Right now, the list of services includes these power-related:
          Code:
          acpid
          apmd
          laptop-mode
          powernowd
          vbesave
          only acpid and apmd seem like they would actually touch the wakeup settings.. acpid is definitely required, I'll remove apmd since, judging by the lack of /proc/apm, APM's not active anyway...

It's just that the changes I make to ACPI wakeup setting don't survive beyond reboot - I can suspend/resume with keypress/mouseclick countless times before then so I assume the daemons are indeed working properly. I was just wondering if there was a way in KDE/whatnot to tick a checkbox (aka windows-style "allow this device to wake the computer from standby"), which would do the magic, and since I didn't find any (other than the command-line acpitool), I'm looking for someone who has this working to ask how they got it working and if it's normal that the wake settings (changes made by acpitool) are reset on reboot. I looked at ubuntuforums and found that a common solution to enable wake-on-lan is to make a script which runs ethtool to turn it on at every boot - which makes me think that resetting the settings is normal and I have to do the same thing - make a script that runs the right acpitool command at boot and add it using update-rc.d...

Comment

Working...
          X