This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's my stuff?

Can someone tell me what file is the equivalent of Program files in Windows? I've installed a bunch of stuff which does not show up in my start menu. Thanks in advance.

Re: Where's my stuff?

I'm new to linux myself, but I'd say user programs - at least their executables (binary/scripts/symlinks) are in /usr/bin. Just type the name in console (doesn't matter which directory you're in).What exactly are you looking for? Most user apps create desktop/Kmenu launchers, those that don't, however, are quite troublesome.
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

It's hard to look at Linux from a Windows-centric perspective and make much sense of it, I'm afraid -- it's VERY different.

:P

On the lower left is the "KMenu" button -- that's the analogue to "Start". Up the list that you see when you click it are logical groupings of functions and applications. "Graphics" for graphics stuff, "Internet" for Internet stuff, "System" for ..... well, I think you get that.

Under "System" is the Adept Manager, which you will use to choose new "packages" (that's Debian-speak for "apps").

When a package is installed, usually it plants an icon in the appropriate group above Kmenu. If it happens not to (and occasionally one won't), you can do Alt-F2 and get a little one-line command line, and launch it by typing its name there.

Looking for your executables, like you did with your C:\Program Files\Foo_123 is not really a useful thing to do with your Kubuntu system -- you aren't going to be able to do what you're thinking of, and you might mess it up good if you try, before you've got a handle on the "permissions" thing.

KDE has a wealth of ways to make your programs run from icons, or plop them onto your desktop or "kicker panel" -- open Kmenu>System Settings, and dig into "Appearances" and "Desktop" to get going with some of those options. Or, right-click the desktop and choose "configure desktop" and you can have some fun with that, too.

Comment

If this is just a case of installing some software and wondering where it is, you can try to find it:

At Konsole,
        find / -name name_of_software -print

In Konqueror:
        Tools > Find File
        (and start looking in root / if you are not sure)

Also, you might have a look at
        http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/dirs.html
        (Click on Linux's directory structure)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That's got me started. Thanks for the help.

Comment

If you want to add things or edit kmenu either run kmenuedit or right click one of the menus or applications in the kmenu applications section and choose to edit the item or menu.

Comment

Working...
            X