X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

says root password is wrong

Hello all

I have installed Kubuntu, and after the reboot it says my password is wrong so I want to chance it.

I already tried the reboot in safemode, as posted inhere, but it just bootet to the normal blue login screen

how can I reset my password or find it.... please help a beginner in linux

Re: says root password is wrong

Did you use the OEM install and not the Text install? If you did use - usernameem , password: (either)oem (or) [blank].

If this gets you in the OEM install is not complete until you run a command in Konsole:
    sudo oem-config-prepare
    . This will remove the OEM problem and ask you about YOUR username and password
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

OEM ... Text what is that? and how can i see what i used

... I have a username called chrcms, thats all i know

Comment

"OEM" = the installation mode for setting up *buntu on a PC that is going to an unknown user, who will set his own user name and password at a later time.

Did you, perchance, install over a prior *buntu installation?

Normally, when you go through the installation routine for a new *buntu system, it will require that you (a) enter your user name (i.e. the first or "installing" user) and immediately (b) enter your password, twice to be sure of it.

However, I noticed last week while installing Gutsy Beta over my prior beat-up Gutsy Tribe 5, that it skipped the user/password entry routine. I guess it "assumed" who was fooling with the system. It also put up a warning message about "existing files that may be changed" or some such irrelevant threat (I use a separate partition for /home). I pulled out my GParted Live CD, rebooted, and formatted that partition, and started again with my Kubuntu Gutsy Alternate Install CD, and the second time it proceeded as expected, with the user name and password entry requirements.

So, this may be relevant to the posted problem -- hope it helps!

Comment

I guess I installed the normal kubuntu.... first time installation, and i remember typing username and password, but ..well I might have forgotten the password...can't it be reset somehow like i can in windows?

Comment

Try "How-To Recover password under Ubuntu" at http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-rec...er-ubuntu.html
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
            X