This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I clean my /tmp directory?

Would it be a good practice to clean out my /tmp directory periodically?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Should I clean my /tmp directory?

See:
    /tmp
    This directory is used for temporary storage space. Files within this directory are often cleaned out either at boot time or by a regular job process. The Debian GNU/Linux operating system cleans up the /tmp directory at boot time. An example for using the /tmp directory in Computerbank would be when downloading the OpenOffice deb packages. By downloading these packages into the /tmp directory, the user can be assured the packages will be wiped off the system next time the machine reboots.
    This 'tmp' directory isn't like the Windoze 'temp' that accumulates stuff and isn't cleaned up automatically by that OS. I'd say, leave it alone.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Also, in a console, type man hier for a description of the file system hierarchy.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Good advice, thank you.

Boy, I didn't know how bad I had it with Window$, you know?

By the way, if you can, please help me with this post, plleeeaaaassssseeeeee :P
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X