X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about what I should see when booting off CD

Greetings,

I booted Kunbuntu off the DVD I just downloaded. I am not sure if what I am seeing is what I should be seeing.

1) I do not see any hard drives on the PC. Only the DVD drive comes up in the system thing. Is this supposed to happen? I have drives on the motherboard controller, on Promise card and a drive on the USB. Did I have to do something to get Kubuntu to see them? Ideally, I'd like to install to the hard drive I got hanging off the USB port, then boot Kubuntu off the USB drive.

2) The hardwired network connection didn't work. I looked to configure it, but it said I needed to press the Admin button, and I missed where that was.

Any initial help would be appreciated. I want off of Windows and Kubuntu looks to be a nice landing place.

TIA.

O.

Re: Questions about what I should see when booting off CD

Hey, congrats on the switch.

1) I do not see any hard drives on the PC.
    I think I remember K/Ubuntu not mounting hard drives automagically. Or maybe it's just NTFS partitions, but you can find info here:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/MountingWindowsPartitions
    https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Automatical...dowsPartitions

and a drive on the USB.
    What version of KDE are you using? I think 3.5 either added or vastly improved auto-detecting of removable media.

Try checking your /media directory, maybe it got auto-mounted there.

I looked to configure it [hardwired network connection], but it said I needed to press the Admin button, and I missed where that was.
    Go to System Settings or Control Center and find Network Settings. You need administrative (root) access to change these kinds of settings, so click the button labeled Administrator Mode at the bottom-right of the window. You'll need to enter your user password. Administrator Mode will be signified by a red border around the window pane and the options will no longer be grayed out.

Comment

Working...
    X