This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this mean?

The utility unrar is not in your PATH. Please install it or contact your administrator.
    I down loaded some icons to desktop, when I click on it I get the above message. This is double dutch to me, where do I go from here. Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Re: What's this mean?

I don't know what you mean by:
    I down loaded some icons to desktop, when I click on it I get the above message.
    But unrar is in the repositories so you can install it with adept / synaptic or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install unrar
    For more reading:
    Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version)
    Unrar can extract files from .rar archives. If you want to create .rar
    archives, install package rar.

This package is auto-buildable

Homepage: http://www.rarlabs.com/
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks Fintan. What I meant was, I wanted some more icons to use, so I down loaded some and the down load was saved to the desk top. When I clicked on the downloaded icon to open it , I got the above message. So I did sudo apt-get install unrar, and now when I go to open the file it asks if I want to unzip, I click yes and I get a notification telling me the extracting operation failed. I will look into it further when I have time. Many thanks for your help.

Comment

Take a look at the manpage (manual page) information for the unrar utility and it's usage and options. Insight may be gained. unrar(1) - Linux man page
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It sounds as if the file you downloaded is either incomplete or corrupt.

rar is a compression format. Ark is the standard front end for compression tools under kde. unrar, the backend for rar type files, was not installed, hence the original message.
          The new error message suggests unrar is now installed and functioning. If you right click the file and choose open with ark are you seeing any information about the files the archive contains?

Comment

Working...
          X