X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Realplayer

Hi folks!

I need some help installing realplayer10GOLD. I want to be able to stream with it in firefox. It has been downloaded through firefox's downloader to: Desktop (RealPlayer10GOLD.bin) I have tried to follow the directions from the realplayer page and it says directory doesn't exist. Do I need to move it somewhere else before I go any further? Would somebody help me do this step by step?

Thank you!

Re: Installing Realplayer

If you cd into your ${HOME}/Desktop (where I believe you said you downloaded it) and just run

Code:
    sh RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
    Does that help?

Comment

Actually I checked it out myself. The File you downloaded is a binary so You would have to follow their directions:

Code:
      $ cd ${HOME}/Desktop
      $ chmod +x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
      $ ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin

Comment

Thanks! That got it installed alright. I have a problem though. I still can't stream in firefox with it. I checked in my usr/lib files and found that the plugins were installed in mozilla-firefox plugin file, not the firefox plugin file. My question now is how do I move them over there? I tried copy, move, but it keeps saying I don't have permission. How do I get permission to move them?

Comment

Ok! I got the plugins moved. Figured out permission rights. I still click on RealPlayer icon on web pages and streamboss starts then stops (no sound). My guess is that Mplayer is trying to do the job. Are there any plugins the Mplayer may have installed in the Firefox plugin file that might need to be removed in order to let the helix plugins installed by realplayer work.

This is what is in my Firefox Plugins folder, including the RealPlayer plugins that I copied:

Mplayerplug-in-gmp.so
          Mplayerplug-in-gmp.xpt
          Mplayerplug-in-qt.so
          Mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt
          Mplayerplug-in-rm.so
          Mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
          Mplayerplug-in.so
          Mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
          Mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
          Mplayerplug-in.xpt
          nphelix.so
          nphelix.xpt

Another second question is, can Mplayer be configured to play realplayer streams off the internet legally? I have automatix installed and saw about codex at the top, but wasn't sure that would do the trick, making Mplayer play realplayer streams.

Comment

Mplayer can play Realplayer streams, but not as well (in my experience) as RealPlayer. In any event, the mplayer plugins that are for realplayer are the rm ones (rm.so and rm.xpt). Rename those as backup and then they won't show up in Firefox.

You can check the plugins in Firefox by typing

aboutlugins

in the URL address line of the browser.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. Problem solved!

Comment

sriram@indira:~/Desktop$ chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
                sriram@indira:~/Desktop$ ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
                ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i still get this error.....
                help plz

Comment

I didn't have much success installing the bin file either. I went here and followed the directions installing the .deb file and it went flawlessly.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...llationMethods

I hope that this helps you!

Comment

That is a helpfull link, however it is a little overdone. I found I could install RealPlayer10GOLD after I ran this lline:

Code:
                    sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
                    Apparently RealPlayer is dependant on this file, and I didn't have it either. My question is : How do I get this program to run seemlessly? In other words when I click a .rm file I want it to open up the RealPlayer and start playing this file. I did manage to find out that I can start it by going to the folder that it asked me to put it in (when I installed) and type:
                    Code:

./realplay.bin

This will run the program.

Shane
                    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

After about 3 installations I figured out that these files should be installed in: /usr/lib/realplayer (I know I know -urgh NEWBIES!!!) to do this I believe you need to run their command with sudo so it will look like this.
                      Code:
                      sudo ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
                      I found that would allow me to click on a .rm file and it would automatically open RealPlayer and play the file! Great! I also found that I could right click on an MP3 file (in Konqueror), select properties, click on the wrench icon after the file type description, and make Real Player your default program for that file too. Hope this helps some of the other slow learners like me.

Shane
                      John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

Working...
                      X