This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra mouse button issue . . .

I've come to determine either the current version of Kubuntu or Xorg - or both - I'm using does not support tilt-wheel technology. My system does, however, detect the extra buttons. Since I can't use them for their designed function, I would like to assign their functions to opening some of my commonly used programs. I've checked out imwheel, but am uncertain as to how to configure it to read the extra buttons. If anyone can help me with this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    integr8e
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Extra mouse button issue . . .

Review my post.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've already followed the instructions on the ManyButtonsMouseHowto and gotten the thumb buttons to work, the problem is, that article was written for mice with 7 buttons, mine has 9 (left/right tilt-wheel). I'm trying to configure the tilt-wheel to either function as it's supposed to, or modify it to open one or two of my frequently used applications. Is there any configuration trick you know of to get either of these options working?
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

If memory serves me, those instructions illustrate how you can apply the concept to mice with less/more buttons. You will have to play around with configuration settings to see what does and does not work. BACKUP the affected files before you do so.

This type of 'project' is the kind of thing that allows you to get your hands dirty, and in the process, gain additional insight on how things work.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hah!

Integr8e, you only have 5 fingers on one hand -- what the heck are you doing with 9 buttons on a mouse? Using both hands on it?

Could the solution be "Put tape over 4 buttons"?

I'm kidding, of course! I'm actually jealous -- I only have 2 buttons and a wheel.

Comment

I like it; it's a cordless, rechargeable Dynex DX-LM100 laser mouse. I picked it up for about $9.00 as a new, but open box item on eBay about 6 months ago eBay is the place to shop!!! (Just a little propaganda )
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
            X