X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launching image magick 'display' in kde

Hi all,

I'd like to use the display program from Image Magick to do simple photo cropping/resizing. I installed the software etc and it runs fine, but I'm having some issues in starting it through kde.

1. From the shell, it starts, no problem. Simply:
    $ display

2. From the K menu -> Graphics it also starts fine,

3. If I use the K menu -> Run command, type display at the prompt and hit enter, the 'Configure - KDE Control Module' dialogue pops up, but there's no content in the window, only the help/defaults/ok/cancel buttons. Clicking these does nothing. Clicking help reveals that there's no help available.

4. I get exactly the same behaviour if I try to start it through right-clicking a selected file/s in Konqueror.

Any help in making these latter 2 options work would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Launching image magick 'display' in kde

3. If I use the K menu -> Run command, type display at the prompt and hit enter, the 'Configure - KDE Control Module' dialogue pops up, but there's no content in the window, only the help/defaults/ok/cancel buttons. Clicking these does nothing. Clicking help reveals that there's no help available.
    Hmm - I don't know why but if you give full path (/usr/bin/display) in the K menu -> Run command (or alt+f2) then it works.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Launching image magick 'display' in kde

Ah, good call. I just checked the file associations in konqueror, and the command it's executing there is 'kcmshell display'. A very quick search doesn't tell me much about that, but I guess it's some sort of wrapper.

In the shell, using

$ kcmshell display

gives me the same problem.

using

$ kcmshell /usr/bin/display

gives a number of similar errors (for example "Invalid entry (missing '=') at /usr/bin/display:1"), and then the same problem.

It seems strange to me then, that it starts ok from the K menu -> Graphics, but not in other ways through KDE. Why would it handle it differently?

Going back to the file associations in Konqueror, changing the command from "kcmshell display" to "/usr/bin/display" lets me start it through konqueror, which is what I wanted.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X