X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange X server problem

hi there,
    I have a problem with the X server of my kubuntu installation. everything worked perfectly, but all of a sudden my kde session crashed. now i'm unable to reconnect to the X server as normal user; only the grey screen with the "X" cursor appears. after some minutes xinit gives up:

"xinit: Network is unreachable (errno 101): unable to connect to X server".

This is strange because it's a local login, no remote server. That's the same for all user login attempts, while root may still call "startx" and everything's fine! Could anybody please tell me what went wrong here?

Thanks to all kubuntu yodas in advance :-)

b.

Re: strange X server problem

hi again,
    the problem still persists. I found a file called .xsession-errors in the user home directory with the following content:

Xsession: X session started for blowfysh at Mo Jan 16 19:11:54 CET 2006
    tempnam: Permission denied

does anybody have any idea what's wrong?

thanks,

b.

Comment

Did you tweak anything related to X before this happened? Or having to do with your user privileges?

Comment

It sounds like your /tmp directory lost it's sticky bit since you can only login with root. Try this:

sudo chmod 1777 /tmp

...and see if you can login now as normal user.

Comment

you were absolutely right: I installed the partimage server to save images over the network and configured /tmp to be the receiving directory. didn't realize that partimage changed /tmp ownership, read, write and execute restrictions. changed it back and now everything works as usual. 

thanks very much for your help,

b.

Comment

Working...
          X