This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot suspend after adept kde update

Hi, I'm hoping you can help with a newbie problem. I did an adept update/upgrade today as prompted by my adept update manager. Since doing this I cannot get my computer to shut down. The process seems to start okay but then i get a konsole type screen with a few messages saying it's shutting down this and that - all followed by ok, but the last message says
    'could not suspend device - 1: error - 108'

A more Linux-experienced friend tells me that it's a simple problem caused by the update - it disables something that tells the system to shut down (ASCP?) and that it's simple to activate this again. He'll show me how to do it next time he's here, but if anyone out there can give me instructions on how to do it for myself I'd be so chuffed!
    I'm only here so often because I'm too blinking lazy to learn shell!

Re: cannot suspend after adept kde update

Originally posted by bernieszu

A more Linux-experienced friend tells me that it's a simple problem caused by the update - it disables something that tells the system to shut down (ASCP?) and that it's simple to activate this again.
    Hmmmmmmmmm -- well, maybe .... :P

Have you tried, in a Konsole window or at the actual console (Ctrl-Alt-F1)
    Code:
    sudo shutdown now
    ?

If you're trying reboot, make it
    Code:
    sudo shutdown now -r
    If that works, which I predict it will, we'll know it's related to something graphical. If not, then it's deeper.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, dibl, looks like it's 'something deeper!
      When I try to shut down the normal way I get the following messages:
      unmounting temporary filesystems... ok
      deactivating swap... ok
      unmounting local filesystems... ok

Will now halt

Then absolutely nothing more happens.
      If I try to force a shutdown at this stage by pressing the power off button on the computer, I get the following messages:
      [1131.961328] suspend_device (): usb-suspend + 0x0/0x60 [usbcore] () returns - 108
      [1131.961500] could not suspend device 1-1: error - 108

I tried your suggested sudo command in both the konsole window and the konsole, both times I got the Kubuntu screen that you get when it starts booting up but then nothing happened.

For the last three days I've had to shutdown by switching off the power at the mains and it's making me very nervous for the health of my hard disk, so any other ideas?
      Thanks again for trying to help.
      Bernie

Comment

unmounting temporary filesystems... ok
        deactivating swap... ok
        unmounting local filesystems... ok

Will now halt
        This is good -- it means your filesystem and data are completely safe (well, "completely" in the context of electronics and magnetic media, anyway).

[1131.961328] suspend_device (): usb-suspend + 0x0/0x60 [usbcore] () returns - 108
        [1131.961500] could not suspend device 1-1: error - 108
        The key to the problem is in these messages -- I don't know them -- why don't you Google "usb-suspend error" and "usb-suspend returns - 108" and "could not suspend device 11- error - 108"? I bet you'll be surprised at how much you find on the topic.

I've had to shutdown by switching off the power at the mains and it's making me very nervous for the health of my hard disk]
        If, after seeing the "Will now halt" message, you will simply hold down the power switch for 5 or 6 seconds, the computer should power down normally, and there is no risk at all to the hard drive with this method -- that's actually what the computer would do if it weren't for the "can't suspend" error.

Comment

Really helpful! I was worried about using the switch to power off. Thank you very much. I'll do the google thing and post back here when I find a solution that works.

Bernie

Comment

Another thing you could try is updating to 3.5.7. How this is done via Adept is explained here:

http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-357.php

(You probably have 3.5.6 currently with some security updates.)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, my linux literate friend came round yesterday and installed Krusader on my system - I didn't have it installed before. When we added 'acpi = force' to the kernel line in Krusader it worked. So now my system is shutting down perfectly.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, my linux literate friend came round yesterday and installed Krusader on my system - I didn't have it installed before. When we added 'acpi = force' to the kernel line in Krusader it worked. So now my system is shutting down perfectly.
                You don't need krusader to edit the boot options, though.

for future reference:
                Code:
                kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
                to edit boot options (and the boot menu)

and:

Code:
                kdesu 'konqueror --profile filemanagement'
                to open a root file manager (which is probably why you installed/used krusader)

Comment

Thanks for that. One of the things I'm finding with Linux is that because I'm new to it, I haven't built up the 'instinctive' knowledge of the way it works that years of using windows gave me, so I don't know how to find a way round things and sometimes really stupid things stump me. I also tend to forget what a newbie I am and don't look things up properly! For example, I kept reading advice to use the gedit command. My system told me gedit wasn't installed. I didn't even know that gedit is a text editor, so it never occurred to me that I could use kate instead. I'm plumbing new depths of ignorance every day

Comment

Working...
                  X