This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing java

I have java installed but I think it's an older version. I am trying to run a conferencing application that is telling me to install http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp. Is there an easier way to install that using something like Adept or Automatix?

Also on this confering systems help site it says the following:

"# On supported Mac platforms (OS 10.3 and later) installation is automatic through the Java Web Start mechanism. Java Web Start comes pre-installed on the Mac, and it downloads the iVocalize program files when you attempt to log into the server.

On Linux platforms where Java Web Start and JRE 1.4.2 or later have been installed, installation of iVocalize works the same as on the Mac, described above. Although the software may run on Linux, this is not a supported platform."

What might I need to install to make that happen?

Re: installing java

You can use Adept to install it. Packages to pick from:

sun-java5-jre and sun-java5-plugin (this is version 1.5 and fairly stable)
    sun-java6-jre and sun-java6-plugin (this is version 1.6 and relatively new)

sun-java5-sdk or sun-java6-sdk (these are the development kits)

Your best bet is probably to get sun-java5-jre and sun-java5-plugin. Dependencies will be downloaded automatically. I read some bug stories about 1.6, and Apple for example still doesn't support 1.6. The SDKs install a lot of stuff you won't need, so unless you develop in Java, the runtime environment (JRE) is fine. The plugin package installs what you need to use Java in Firefox (among others).

Comment

In addition, you can check in the shell (Konsole) which Java version is installed by typing java -version. If you have multiple versions installed, you can choose which one should be used by typing:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

... and then selecting the preferred version. This looks like this:

Code:
      username@feline:/home$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
      Password:

There are 2 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection  Alternative
      -----------------------------------------------
           1  /usr/bin/gij-wrapper-4.1
      *+    2  /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/java

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2
      Using `/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/java' to provide `java'.
      username@feline:/home$

Comment

I installed sun-java5-jre and sun-java5-plugin like you said and set java5 as default but I am still being requested to install java. Any other ideas?

Comment

Strange. Did you reboot your computer? (Should not be required, but ...)

Have you tried other Java applications? Just to see whether the problem is the installation or the Java application you are trying to run. A sample application would be the Go board game Java client here, and for testing the plugin try a free Go lesson here. But anything will do, those are just two things I use daily and know they work in Kubuntu and Java 1,5,

Another option is that your software really does want Java 1.6. If that is the case, installing sun-java6-jre and sun-java6-plugin will address the trouble. Might be worth a try (you can always remove it again, or remove 1.5 if it works). You might need to use the command I posted above to change the Java installation that is used.

Comment

Yes I had my computer off all night after installing and it still doesn't work. The game you posted does work but the Go lesson says I need an additional plugin and sends me to download java just like my app does. I occasionally run into websites that give me the same thing. The app I am trying to use says it needs a minimum of java version 5.

Comment

Java 5 is 1.5. Hmm, odd that the Go lecture doesn't work, but that gives us a clue at least. Are you positive that sun-java5-plugin is installed? Are you using Firefox or Konqueror? Perhaps if we can solve this problem, we can also fix whatever causes your application not to work. I'm getting dangerously close to running out of ideas, though!

Comment

According to Adept sun-java5-jre and sun-java5-plugin are installed. When I enter java -version into the konsole it says:

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-b03)
                Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_11-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

I am using Swiftfox and get the same problem when I try Konqueror.

Comment

Originally posted by heylookitsmewow
                  "Although the software may run on Linux, this is not a supported platform."

I think their own statement says it pretty clearly - it isn't supported on Linux.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Originally posted by heylookitsmewow
                    "Although the software may run on Linux, this is not a supported platform."

I think their own statement says it pretty clearly - it isn't supported on Linux.
                    Actually it's not clear since it also says it may run on Linux.

In Automatix I found something called Swiftfox Plugins. I installed that and now the java is working and it now brings me to the sign in screen for the conference room I am trying to use. When I log in it just brings me to a page that says "Your operating system is not supported." In Konqueror there is a way to change the identity of the browser and operating system. Is there a way to do that in Swiftfox too?

Comment

I get the impression you have installed java but that the necessary symbolic links for firefox to see and use it have not been created (this is what I had to do when on my laptop after the java install). Try the following two lines of code, they create symbolic links of /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so in two locations (actually the second one creates a symb link of the symb link);

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so

sudo ln -s /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/mozilla-javaplugin.so

Hope that works for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X