This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network adapter trouble

I'm having trouble with my network adapter, and I need help.
    My brother (who is an uber computer geek, unlike myself) helped me fix it, but it only lasts until I restart Kubuntu, and then I have to do it all over again. Here's what I have to do:

In Konsole, I type - sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full autoneg off
    Then I type - sudo kate /etc/network/interfaces
    and add a line under iface eth0 inet dhcp to read pre-up ifconfig eth0

I need to add it to the pre-up so it does it every time Kubuntu starts up, but I have no idea how. Can somebody help me?

Re: Network adapter trouble

How about instead you click K>System Settings>Network Settings then click the Administrator Mode, click you adapter and click Configure Interface then enter the correct settings. Make sure to check the box that says Activate when the the computer starts. Good luck.

Comment

Why is this all necessary? What type of card is it? Have you tried to configure it through system settings>>network settings?

eriefisher
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Well, all that might not be necessary, but it worked. Truthfully, I don't really understand all of it. I just installed Kubuntu on my computer 3 days ago, and this is the first I've ever used linux, so I'm pretty much a total noob. My brother told me how to do it. I don't know where he got that stuff, but that's what he told me to do to get the network adapter working.

I just realized what you mean when you ask why it's necessary. I forgot to mention - the network cable I'm using is crappy, (my computer is on a LAN) and can only handle 10 mbps, so I have to configure Kubuntu to connect at a slower speed. I can't do that in the network settings window.

Comment

Working...
        X