X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: firefox sound prob

Well, it's not just ET anymore, ut2004 is doing it too:

open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy
    Xlib: extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".

Something IS hogging my sound but what?

Comment

So how can I send a kill signal to everything using my sound? or get a list of them or something? Anything?

Comment

...Anyone got anything else?!
        (And yes, i'll keep this post going until I get some answers or they lock it!)

I've been thinking is there a way to re-install and re-configure just the sound?

Comment

Best I've got for you is a pretty good troubleshooting link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Good luck -- let us know if make any discoveries!

Comment

BREAKTHROUGH! ( THANK YOU 'TOP' !!)

It's hasn't fixed firefox, and nor has anything else, and I haven't tried winecfg yet... but typing "killall artsd" in the console gives me sound from both ET and UT2004, if it works for winecfg, then it's about back to normal(-ish), it's still kinda pisserish but I can deal with typin that out all the time.

Two questions, first what is artsd (art? Sound Deamon... im guessing) for and from and so on, my system sound still seems to work without it, so I'f I can remove it maybe I can get flash working with one of the few fixes I've tried so far, and everything else will still work... I've still got to try winecfg and killall before I load a music player like vlc, to make sure they still work... but if everything will still work without it, I think removing it help me out alot...

Second what does everyone think of gnash (i think it's called.) My brother was saying it worked almost as well as the real flash player on everything but youtube (I guess they need to update it because youtube just updated their encoding or something... ??) Has anyone tried just using that and not flash player 9...

Thanks for all the idea's and feedback in advance everyone...

man I was almost ready to format my hd and start over... >
            that's never any fun.

Comment

Working...
            X