Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Kubuntu on external HD (without GRUB)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu on external HD (without GRUB)

I'm running Windows XP on my laptop (internal HD) and can't afford to switch to Kubuntu entirely. Nevertheless I'd like to familiarize myself with it a bit when time allows, so I thought about installing it on an external HD, which I might, then, plug in from time to time to play with it.

I read through some of the installation advice, and I don't feel comfortable having the Windows MBR overwritten by GRUB. So, the question is: How do I install Kubuntu onto an external HD without touching my laptop's internal HD at all?

Probably a newbie question, but my head is spinning already after reading heaps of Kubuntu/Linux documentations over the past week.

... On a side note, my salutations to the Kubuntu/Ubuntu/KDE etc. teams. I tried both the (K)Ubuntu LiveCDs the other day and I was stunned and amazed by the fantastic software packages that exist!

Re: Installing Kubuntu on external HD (without GRUB)

How do I install Kubuntu onto an external HD without touching my laptop's internal HD at all?
    Does "How To: Ubuntu Portable" at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=464113 answer your question?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yes, you can install your Kubuntu on the external USB HDD without ever touching your internal Windows drive.

You must see how your computer (the BIOS) sees your hard drive and note the name given to it. Your internal drive may, for example, be sda in Linux, and in the bootloader GRUB it may be hd0.
      Your external USB HDD may show up as sdb and hd1.
      I'm fairly sure your Windows drive is sda = hd0 (98% are).

Now here's the only catch, and it's easy, but make a Post-It and put it on your keyboard or monitor:
      In the final step, Step 6, of the Manual installation, you'll see an Advanced button at lower right. Click on it. Now that's where you specify where to put GRUB. If your Windows drive is hd0, you do NOT want it to go there. If your USB HDD is hd1, that's where you want it to go: (hd1) (with the parentheses).

That's all! Easy if you remember. (I did forget on one installation . . If you were to mess up, you would need the Windows CD to restore the MBR to the Windows drive, or try Super Grub Disk to do that.)

Before doing any of this, I suggest using GParted to partition your USB HDD. Use the GParted Live CD. GParted is really, really nice and easy to use.

You can, however, also do the partitioning during the installation. You might try that first and if you have no problems then no need for GParetd Live CD. (I've done it both ways.)
      (If you do use GParted and make the partitions and format them as ext3, you still want to select the Manual partitioning method during the Kubuntu installation, and you'll see that the installer MAY want to re-format your partitions, and if so, that's OK.)

Here's GParted (free download):

GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
      GParted how-to: http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

Here's a recent write-up I did, as a How-To, on putting Kubuntu on an external USB HDD:

How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0
      How to install K/Ubuntu 7.04 to an external USB hard disk drive (HDD).
      Scroll to the second post, 8-14-07.

(You don't need all the complicated stuff there, just the easy case; but you may wish to scan the material just to get the hang of things. Your case is easy.)

One more thing. Here's how it's going to work:
      You have put GRUB in the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the external USB HDD.
      Your BIOS must support boot from USB, and you must enable that in your BIOS Setup.
      Then set your boot-drive sequencing in BIOS Setup to boot from that external USB HDD when it is plugged in. Your Windows drive will be entirely by-passed. When your external USB HDD is not connected (or the power is switched off on it, your BIOS will boot from your internal Windows drive. Worst case: Some BIOSes require you to manually interven in the boot sequence each time and select which drive you want.

(Each BIOS is set up differently, some are easy, like my Intel, and some require a bit of study on your part, flipping through the menus or the manual.)

Troubleshooting: If your external drive does not boot, but you feel you did everything right, use GParted to make sure the boot flag is set for the Kubuntu partition of the external drive (in GParted: highlight the external drive by clicking once on it, Partition > Manage flags > boot.)
      (Note: In GParted, your drives are listed in a drop-down list at the upper right section of the screen. Make sure you select your external HDD and not your internal Windows drive!!!).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Arochester, Qqmike -- thanks a lot for your help! I'll get cracking tonight with it. Pretty exciting actually to get Kubuntu up and running!

Comment

Working...
        X