This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Question

Ok I have no internet on my Laptop and I need to install KDE 3.5. So I burned the KED 3.5 to a disc and slipped it into my laptop. So now what do I need to do? I tried to install it in the terminal but it looks like that only works if you got internet.

Re: Newbie Question

You can use 'dpkg' to install local packages, one viable option could be:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -iR [deb-directory]
    see 'man dpkg' for more info

If you wish to use apt-get, take a look at Sky's and Nirvana's posts on this thread
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2683.0

Comment

I typed in
      sudo dpkg -iR media:/hdc/kunbuntu-packages-jriddel-key.gpg
      and it says
      unable to look up laptop via gethostbyname()

Comment

Originally posted by jackripper
        sudo dpkg -iR media:/hdc/kunbuntu-packages-jriddel-key.gpg
        The .gpg file is only an authentication key for the packages (to verify their authenticity)...you need to point to the directory (on your CD) with the actual .deb packages in it...also the (media:/) kio shortcut only works in konqueror...lose the ':'

Comment

here's an Ubuntu wiki you should be able to walk through to help:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

This is another thread within this forum that discusses the matter

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=757.0

I'm not sure exactly why some people have this problem and others don't. I installed 64-bit breezy twice. one of those times I had the same error--even though I installed it identically both times. Now I'm running 32-bit breezy and have had no issue at all.

Anyway, hope one of those links helps you. BTW, the first link was found within the forum topic referred to by the second link. Thanks to Whoami55 for the first link.

Many times you will get your answers faster if you simply do a search of this forum. To help you I simply entered 'gethostname' into the search. So when you get errors, try punching a distinct part of the error message into the search.

Comment

Hmm...I think you posted on the wrong thread...this one is for KDE 3.5, I would assume that answer was for the SU error?

EDIT:
            Err...nevermind, was too quick to jump to conclusions...the problems are probably related

Comment

Ok well a standard installation I hear will rid me of this problem. So when I install the cd do I type in standard and then enter. This is because everytime I have done an install I just click enter for the default installation.

So is this correct?

Comment

Ok well a standard installation I hear will rid me of this problem. So when I install the cd do I type in standard and then enter. This is because everytime I have done an install I just click enter for the default installation.

So is this correct?
                Yes, what you want to do is save the entire KDE35 directory to a CD (But don't make it E:/kde35/<files>, make the files go in the root of the CD (E:/<files>), and do an apt-cdrom add

note: I assume you have Windows, so E: would be your disk wrting drive...
                <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                  Hmm...I think you posted on the wrong thread...this one is for KDE 3.5, I would assume that answer was for the SU error?

EDIT:
                  Err...nevermind, was too quick to jump to conclusions...the problems are probably related
                  heh, you had me going there for a second. I've had that problem on these forums before--though I've always caught it before I submit a post. yeah. I figured that perhaps by resolving the gethostbyname() error he might make some progress as per your previous suggestions.

So is this correct?
                  It really shouldn't be necessary to type standard to do the standard install...but I guess it wouldn't hurt. If you have the same problem again, either follow the wiki I linked above or double check the checksum of your install cd if you haven't--just to be sure it's not your install disc giving you problems.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Comment

Working...
                  X