This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Woes

Hey everybody, I'm uber new and could use a hand with a wireless problem. I just installed Kubuntu and had a friend of a friend help me set up the firmware for my wireless network adapter and set up something called bcmxx (sp?). Anyway, things were working great for two days but now I am having a big problem.

My connection times out while trying to connect, usually stopping the process at 57% as it starts the IP Config. After timing out, my wireless adapter disables. Usually, I am able to restart it (by hitting the handy button on my keyboard) and I try to connect again. When it times out that time, I am unable to get my wireless to turn on again unless I reboot.

Re: Wireless Woes

I was having a similar problem while trying to use wireless during a roadtrip. I was unable to solve the problem. I did however find it interesting that as soon as I returned home and plugged my laptop into a wired connection... my wireless started working again. If you have a wired connection try plugging it in and see what happens. This isn't really a solution, just trying to troubleshoot a common problem.

There are some known issues with network_manager.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Well, I don't know if this was a permanent fix, however, I installed KWiFi Manager and rebooted and the WiFi came right up without the normal delay. Could be a fluke, but it is possible that the added WiFi support was just what was needed.

Comment

There are numerous posts concerning how KNetwork Manager 'doesn't manage a wireless connection very well. Posts also indicate that those that had this problem, solved it by installing KWifi Manager too.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X