This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer stuff...wipe partition?

Before I do my final install of Kubuntu (this baby deserves a lot more space!), I was wondering if I should use my old boot managers option of Wipe Partition instead of simply freeing up the space. I've had a lot of different stuff and OSs on this hard drive...or is Wipe Partition simply a security thing?

Re: Computer stuff...wipe partition?

In other words, you had one OS taking up the entire drive, you wiped it out with another OS, and then you want to install Kubuntu to your entire hard drive over the other OS?

If so, just install Kubuntu and choose "Erase Entire Hard Drive." You don't have to wipe it clean before that.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
      In other words, you had one OS taking up the entire drive, you wiped it out with another OS, and then you want to install Kubuntu to your entire hard drive over the other OS?

If so, just install Kubuntu and choose "Erase Entire Hard Drive." You don't have to wipe it clean before that.
      Ah, no. This particular drive has had a long and hard history. ..most recently 3 OSs (Kubuntu was one) at the same time (including the other drive, grub was booting 4). I've now downsized XP considerably and am giving the lion's share of this hard drive to Kabuntu. Being basically ignorant about the nuts and bolts of all this, guess I was asking this stupid question: Is there ever any advantage to wiping a partition?

Comment

Originally posted by protomammal
        Is there ever any advantage to wiping a partition?
        Not really, as Kubuntu's installer will wipe the drive.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
        X