X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Suspend or Hibernate?

Kubuntu 7.04, on an AMD Athlon PC with ASUS motherboard
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

this is a newbie question:

*** 1 ***
    I am totally at a loss where to set the energy options of the screen saver. What do I mean? Well, just those options I can choose in Windows, such as time delay for swith-off monitor, switch-off harddrive, go to standby mode, switch off PC. None of these options are in the Screensaver menu. In Windows XP, these options are under Screensaver > Energy adminsitration. But where are they in Kubuntu 7.04?

*** 2 ***
    Related to this, and even worse:
    The Logoff menu gives me the choice of

Reboot, or Turnoff
    - his works excellent

Suspend (same as standby in Windows?)
    – only the screensaver takes action, PC runs as before, no standby flickering of a LED as with Windows.

Hibernate (?)
    – the screen goes black, nothing else happens. PC continues running

Could anybody help and tell how to operate the Suspend and Hibernate buttons properly?

Thank you,

Siggi

Re: How to Suspend or Hibernate?

Firstly, suspend and hibernate can be a bit ropey at best on Linux.

That said, in Feisty there is an app called "guidance-powermanager" (or possibly "guidance-power-manager" that lets you set times for standby, power-off and so on.

For monitor power options either brave it and use the Monitor and Display component of System Settings, or edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to put the times in there manually (see 'man xorg.conf' under ServerFlags: BlankTime, StandbyTime, SuspendTime and OffTime are the options you want).

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
      Firstly, suspend and hibernate can be a bit ropey at best on Linux.

That said, in Feisty there is an app called "guidance-powermanager" (or possibly "guidance-power-manager" that lets you set times for standby, power-off and so on.

For monitor power options either brave it and use the Monitor and Display component of System Settings, or edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to put the times in there manually (see 'man xorg.conf' under ServerFlags: BlankTime, StandbyTime, SuspendTime and OffTime are the options you want).
      Sorry JamesM,

* when I run guidance-power-manager in a terminal I get a response, but a bad one:
      "this is not a laptop,...quitting". I have just an ordinary PC

* when I open /etc/X11/xorg.conf, there is no section "ServerFlags"! Probably only available for laptops, too?

Any other suggerstions to overcome the ropey Suspend and Hibernate?

Thanks,

siggi

Comment

Originally posted by siggi
        I am totally at a loss where to set the energy options of the screen saver. What do I mean? Well, just those options I can choose in Windows, such as time delay for swith-off monitor, switch-off harddrive, go to standby mode, switch off PC. None of these options are in the Screensaver menu. In Windows XP, these options are under Screensaver > Energy adminsitration. But where are they in Kubuntu 7.04?
        for monitor Standby/Suspend/Off:
        kmenu> system settings> monitor & display> power saving (the last/4th tab)
        the trick here is that whatever minutes/hours you select for monitor turn off time will also be applied to the monitor Standby/Suspend/Off

Comment

Originally posted by klerfayt
          the trick here is that whatever minutes/hours you select for monitor turn off time will also be applied to the monitor Standby/Suspend/Off
          Thank you. I found the menu. But there is a misunderstanding: I don't care so much about switching off the monitor. Ok, i do. Bu what matters most to me is to suspend and hibernate the PC. How can I do that? Guidance-power-manager does not work on my PC (see my posting above).

Comment

Thank you. I found the menu. But there is a misunderstanding: I don't care so much about switching off the monitor. Ok, i do. Bu what matters most to me is to suspend and hibernate the PC. How can I do that? Guidance-power-manager does not work on my PC (see my posting above).
            you have to investigate this further with someone's else help if hibernate and or suspend button is not available then you click on shutdown button

Comment

you have to investigate this further with someone's else help if hibernate and or suspend button is not available then you click on shutdown button
              The buttons are there, hibernate works (I activated monitor power-off to 5 minutes to see it working): the PC switches off, and after a new start and unlocking my session I am in my previous desktop. Great!

But suspend! After klicking the suspend button, the screen switches to a black console and error messages scroll over the screen, very fast, again and again and again....probably for hours if I would not have switched off the PC. The messages are essentially the same, except for the changing numbers in brackets at the start of the messages.

Is this what suspend is all about?

Comment

But suspend! After klicking the suspend button, the screen switches to a black console and error messages scroll over the screen, very fast, again and again and again....probably for hours if I would not have switched off the PC. The messages are essentially the same, except for the changing numbers in brackets at the start of the messages.

visit launchpad and create bug report

Comment

Hibernate is ok now, Suspend better than before. Probably 5 minutes power switch-off for the monitor was too short (just to test the function), 20 minutes is fine. But I agree that "suspend and hibernate can be a bit ropey at best on Linux" (quoted from JamesM), at least if it comes for my PC:

1) Hibernate button in the log-off menu: ok, monitor is switched off, so is PC. After restarting the computer, I unlock my previous Kubuntu session. Fine

2) Supend button in the log-off menu: monitor switched off, green LED on my PC flashes (as it does with windows standby), but nothing else happens, irrespective what I set in kmenu> system settings> monitor & display> power saving. Not even after one hour, PC is not switched off (as it would with windows)

3) When I leave my running Kubuntu, screen saver takes over after the time delay I set. But nothing else happens, no standby, let alone hibernate. The PC keeps running forever.

4) I cannot set power options with Kubuntu on my PC. When I run guidance-power-manager in a terminal, I get a response, but a bad one: "this is not a laptop,...quitting .

5) The same holds for /etc/X11/xorg.conf: When I open this file, there is no sectrion "ServerFlags"! Apparently only available for laptops, too.

Conclusion: if you want energy saving options with Kubuntu, discard your PC and get a laptop. I guess that is what power saving is all about in Kubuntu. Correct?
                  Or should I still file a bug report?

siggi

Comment

Hibernate is ok now, Suspend better than before. Probably 5 minutes power switch-off for the monitor was too short (just to test the function), 20 minutes is fine. But I agree that "suspend and hibernate can be a bit ropey at best on Linux" (quoted from JamesM), at least if it comes for my PC:

1) Hibernate button in the log-off menu: ok, monitor is switched off, so is PC. After restarting the computer, I unlock my previous Kubuntu session. Fine

2) Supend button in the log-off menu: monitor switched off, green LED on my PC flashes (as it does with windows standby), but nothing else happens, irrespective what I set in kmenu> system settings> monitor & display> power saving. Not even after one hour, PC is not switched off (as it would with windows)

3) When I leave my running Kubuntu, screen saver takes over after the time delay I set. But nothing else happens, no standby, let alone hibernate. The PC keeps running forever.

4) I cannot set power options with Kubuntu on my PC. When I run guidance-power-manager in a terminal, I get a response, but a bad one: "this is not a laptop,...quitting .

5) The same holds for /etc/X11/xorg.conf: When I open this file, there is no sectrion "ServerFlags"! Apparently only available for laptops, too.

Conclusion: if you want energy saving options with Kubuntu, discard your PC and get a laptop. I guess that is what power saving is all about in Kubuntu. Correct?
                    Or should I still file a bug report?

siggi
                    file multiple bug reports on:
                    1)not able to suspend/hibernate on normal desktop unless using logout screen
                    2)suspend to ram not resuming after selecting "suspend" from logout screen
                    3)Standby, Suspend and Off can't be configured separately in monitor & dislapy settings under power saving tab

- as for display power settings, xorg.conf -
                    *don't confuse monitor suspend with suspend to ram http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DPMS
                    *you are supposed to enter them, an example:

Code:
                    Section "ServerFlags"
                      Option   "standby time" "30"
                      Option   "suspend time" "45"
                      Option   "off time" "60"
                    EndSection

Comment

Working...
                    X