This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i945 problem

I've been searching for a solution to my problem for about two weeks now, constantly having to reconfigure my x.org configuration once a day because i end up breaking it in an attempt to get my monitor set.

I have an i945 monitor on my Acer 3680 laptop with an Intel chipset graphics. The driver in x.org defaults to i810 which works but only at a max of 1024x768. my laptop is able to run at 1280x800 which is what i want to set it at.

If i switch the monitor to i945, the driver stays at i810 and then breaks on a x server restart. even when i run the reconfigure in the terminal and try to manually force it to switch to something else, it breaks.

my laptop is not able to connect to the internet at this time, so if there is something i need to download, i'd need a link to the file and instructions on how to install it. i'm not very literate in linux yet, but i'm getting there. manually installing packages is not something i've had the pleasure of learning.

any help would be appreciated.

Re: i945 problem

Try the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver.

Comment

Available in Adept Manager:

915resolution

Comment(s):
      915resolution is a tool to modify the video BIOS of the 800 and 900 series Intel graphics chipsets. This includes the 845G, 855G, and 865G chipsets, as well as 915G, 915GM, and 945G chipsets. This modification is necessary to allow the display of certain graphics resolutions for an Xorg or XFree86 graphics server.
      915resolution's modifications of the BIOS are transient. There is no risk of permanent modification of the BIOS. This also means that 915resolution must be run every time the computer boots in order for its changes to take effect. If you want to automatically set the resolution on each boot and before X is launched, see /usr/share/doc/915resolution/README.Debian for information about configuring the provided initscript.
      Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/

I have a Toshiba laptop (Satellite P105-S6147) with:
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
      00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
      Until I installed and configured the 915resolution package, I wasn't able to get X to properly configure my display to 1440x900.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks to both of you. Is there a link to these packages that i can download them from? My laptop does not have access to the internet or adept manager. I have to thumb drive everything over from my work computers. Being far away from home and no wifi connection is not fun.

EDIT: I found the packages through http://packages.ubunutu.com/feisty/x11/
        for those looking for them like myself without access, you'll have to scroll down through the list until you find what you are looking for but it's all there.

Comment

Happy to have provided any help at all. Glad too, that you found a suitable solution that met your needs.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X