Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy has tried everything (sound problems)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy has tried everything (sound problems)

Hey guys,
    I've been trying to fix my kubuntu sound problems for days now, and I'm sure it cannot be that hard. I've been searching forums all over the web to see if anybody has the same problems that I do, but I haven't found it yet, so I'm deciding to post my seemingly unique problem here.

I'm working on two OS. Windows Vista and Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty.
    On windows I get perfect sound, on Kubuntu it is otherwise. Everything in Kubuntu is working perfectly except for the sound.

I've checked the Kmix, the Alsamixer on the terminal, and I have tried to follow the step-by-step guide found in the Ubuntu forums (though the guide misses a ton of points, so I was on my own for most of the process).

On the terminal I have tried aplay -l and lspci -v. It seems that my sound card is indeed installed, and the driver is supported (it is hda-intel).

Everything seems like it should work fine, because everything is on, nothing is muted...
    I'm lost, out of ideas, and nowhere that I go in the city can help me with this problem. Can somebody hold this noob's hand and guide him to get at least a peep out of his Kubuntu?

Re: New guy has tried everything (sound problems)

I've had this problem before...

Go to the K Menu>System Settings and select Sound System, is the box Enable the sound system checked?

If not, make sure It is and then click on the hardware tab from the same page and look at the setting Select & Configure your Audio Device. Many people including myself have found that they had to tweak this setting before their sound worked.

What is it set to, Autodetect? Try one of the other settings available from the list and through trial and error one of them should work.
    "As long as they're going to steal software, we want them to steal ours." - Bill Gates on the Chinese.

Comment

Ah, thank you Jay_Jay, it seems the most basic of solutions are the ones we tend to ignore eh? : P
      One last thing now: When in Amarok, a cd is playing it plays fine. I try to put on my headphones to keep it from playing on the speakers of my laptop but, although I can hear it in my headphones, I can also hear it in the speakers of the laptop still. How do I go about fixing this problem?

Comment

Can't say that my experience is/will be the same/similar to yours. But, I had the same problem - no sound on my Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147 laptop. I searched. I posted. I Googled. I left bug reports. I received plenty of suggestions from forum users. Ultimately, I got sound to work. You may find what I went through and did insightful, if not possibly helpful. You can read through my post GOT IT WORKING! - No sound with Intel HDA - in anything
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, at first I couldn't figure for the life of me what was wrong until I compared Kmixers with people. I didn't get all of the options that everyone else got, and even when I got them, they were all muted, but that problem is gone now. My friend guided me through this website: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto
          I realized he knew Linux more than I could ever have imagined.

Really, the only problem now is the whole headphone deal. Sorry to have wasted your time guys : ( and thanks for your patience and suggestions : )

Comment

Also remember to select your master channel, not brain surgery, but lets you adjust volume without fully opening kmix. My Creative card always selects the wrong channel and I have to select Analog Front in order to change the volume.

Comment

Do you have a PC-speakers control in your kmix? If yes deactivate it.
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X