X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... just a few things

Evening guys,

After playing around with different distros of linux mainly within VMWare for about a year now, i've finally taken the plunge and installed Kubuntu onto my Shuttle SN45G (leaving MS Win XP Pro on my lappo!)

Ok ... the reason that i've been put off by linux in the past is its inability to work "out of the box" so to speak, it isn't a case of install, and everything works (not saying WinBlows does, but its easier to fix!).

First (unsolvable) problem:

Getting source code to compile.

I have used sudo apt-get install gcc and several other c compilers, but when coming to compile the latest GAIM (although i installed it through apt-get install gaim), i'm told a c compiler is missing and so it cannot create the executables.

This is also the case with Firefox 1.5 (although previous version installed again using apt-get), as well as the ClientGUI for Nessus.

Ok, second unsolvable problem:

Mounting a USB flash disk

Cannot get it to do this. I jam in the memory key into the front usb port, a message appears saying
    "An error occurred while loading media:/sdb1:
    The file or folder media:/sdb1 does not exist."
    ... and the light continues to flash.

*P.S.* Due to my laziness, I cant be bothered to set the jumper on hard disk and so its set as a primary SLAVE (HDB1), just in case this matters.*

Please help me out, i love this distro (Sounds cheesy lol) and dont want to revert back to WinBlows.

Cheers.

Re: ... just a few things

Originally posted by toLa
    Ok ... the reason that i've been put off by linux in the past is its inability to work "out of the box" so to speak, it isn't a case of install, and everything works (not saying WinBlows does, but its easier to fix!).
    Things are relative, I remember that with windows there's not much you can do with it 'out-of-the-box'...installing everything I needed and configuring always took several days...that's just me of course :P

Getting source code to compile.
    installing 'build-essential' metapackage should get you the basic tools for compiling (of course you might also need the some -dev packages depending on the software you're compiling)...if installing the build-essential package doesn't solve your problem, you could post the exact error message.

Mounting a USB flash disk
    You should be able to browse the stick in konqueror despite of the error message. Also, this 'bug' is should be fixed in more recent versions of KDE (at least in 3.5)

Comment

I've been having problems compiling software, and your tip has been very helpfull, but I still got an error that occurs during the ./configure. It's this.
      Code:
      checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

Comment

you usually need '-dev' packages as well (depending on what you're compiling)
        if you're compiling for kde, the 'kdelibs4-dev' package should give you what you need...it depends on a few other dev-packages (one of them should give you the X includes your ./configure is desperately trying to meet :P)

Comment

Working...
        X