This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Partitioning advice

Isn't the edge of the disk the last partition? I read this a few times, so not claiming you are wrong, but the guides I saw recommend that the swap partition is always put last.

Comment

On todays disks and because swap is rarely used on modern systems = large ram and cpu's it really doesn't matter.
      Besides there are two "edges" on a disk so if you want faster reading times the closer to the inner "edge" the better.

But as stated above it doesn't really matter unless you are using a 10GIG disk with 256 or lower ram and a 800mhz cpu.

As for my setup:
      /swap = 2 GIG (hardly ever used)
      /home = 18 GIG ( I have a lot of users)
      / = 16 GIG
      /Data = 200 GIG for static data (expandable to 300 and at the "end" of the disk)

I hope all of this helps a bit, and wish you lots of luck and enjoy

EDIT: My windows (for my adobe stuff) is running nicely on vmware. Have not rebooted my installed windows in a year will probably trash it shortly
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The outer edge is where the first partition is.
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

The first sector is on the outer edge.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

What Mike said. The first sectors are located on the outer edge of the disc.
            http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Disk geometry - and its impact on performance, or lack thereof - aside, just how do I get my /home directory to be on a separate partition?

I suppose I could use gparted to create a new partition, aside from the 2 existing ones (those being / and the swap partition), but how do I get my /home to be there? Is it a simple copy and paste, or is there some way I need to tell Kubuntu I want /home to be there?

Comment

@Objekt -- I think you said you have an 80GB drive?

I like the GParted Live CD for disk partitioning, even though a version of GParted is on the (K)Ubuntu installation CDs. Get the ISO for the live CD here.

OK, when looking at your hard drive with Gparted, you want to divide it into 3 pieces as follows:

1. 6GB -- this will be for "/"
                2. 0.5GB -- this will be for "swap"
                3. All the rest of it -- this will be for "/home"

That's how you end up with a separate partition for home. When you install Kubuntu, when you get to the point where it is asking you to set the partitions and mount points, you simply line up the 6GB partition with the "/" directory, the 0.5GB partition with "swap" and the big partition with "/home".

Hope that's kinda clear ...

Comment

Think you missed the fact that he already has Kubuntu installed on the drive, with only two partitions - root ( / ) and a swap.

He wants to create a separate partition for /home and move the existing contents.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Think you missed the fact that he already has Kubuntu installed on the drive, with only two partitions - root ( / ) and a swap.
                    Hey, Snowhog!

No, I picked up on this:
                    (Posted while running Win XP, since I'm still in the "accidentally breaking things" stage with Kubuntu
                    and assumed our friend is open to the possibility of setting that drive up correctly (i.e. again).

If not, then it's a dive into "shrinking existing partitions", which opens up a whole 'nother world of questions, regarding free space and such.

Comment

Nope, still think you've missed it. :P

From Objekt's first post:
                      ...but here's what I have (and can see in Win XP, thanks to that nifty Ext2IFS utility) on my Linux volume:

54.9 GB "Linux"
                      2.4 GB "Linux Swap"

Comment

OK, OK, I yield !!!

Comment

For a guide on repartitioning using GParted, you can review this link.

Comment

Nice, I managed to confuse everyone thoroughly.

I decided to just reinstall Kubuntu, doing the partitions the "right" way this time. It's easy enough to do. I didn't have anything in my then-existing install I wanted to keep.

I've been messing around with Gparted, and also Partimage, quite a lot in the past couple of days. I figured out how to make an image of my Windows XP boot volume, so I can easily restore it in case of utter doom.

The big problem now is that the System Rescue CD, which conveniently lets you run both Gparted and Partimage, boots into a nearly unusable graphics mode. I can't find an option to change the display resolution anywhere, but it looks like it's going with 1600x1200 at 60Hz. That just about makes my eyeballs bleed, and I need a magnifying glass to read the windows where Gparted and Partimage run. Bleah.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to change the resolution, short of editing some file on my image of the System Rescue CD, then burning another one. Someone please tell me there's another way to make it boot into a more usable display mode, maybe 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz?

Comment

My friend google gave me this:
                              http://www.sysresccd.org/Screenshots

may be that will help.

I am downloading now and will let you know more later
                              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X