X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requesting Help: "Dual Booting & its Aftermath" Woes

To Kubuntu Gurus,

I need lots of help with my current situation. I am a complete newbie with no prior experience with Linux, except for using engineering programs on school Linux computers. Any help or useful hints would really be appreciated. The situation so far:

BACKGROUND

My new laptop arrived last week. It is a Gateway C-140X: C2D T7300 (2.00GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 Cache), 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, and a 80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive that came pre-installed with Windows Vista Premium. I wanted to do a clean install so I can dual boot Windows Vista Ultimate and Kubuntu 6.06 LTS. I did my research on dual booting (which apparently still seems insufficient), and began the process.

WHAT I DID LEADING UP TO THE PROBLEM

FIRST TRIAL

First, I began with the Windows Vista Ultimate installation: I wiped the HDD clean, then created a 1st partition 60GB partition NTFS, and left the remaining ~20GB 2nd partition as free space. Vista installed without a hitch, and was running very smoothly. I installed anti-virus software and updated all of the drivers on the Vista. Afterwards, I popped in the Kubuntu 6.06 LTS CD and restarted my computer; I was brought to the Kubuntu Live CD environment, and I began installing Kubuntu. At the "Prepare Disk Space" stage of the installation process, I wanted to "Manually edit the partition table", but was brought to a blank window; I was expecting to see some sort of partition table showing the Windows Vista partition and the free space, but nothing came up; repeated tries yielded no better results, so I eventually selected "Use largest block of free space for the installation". The installation completed, and restarted the computer. I removed the CD, and waited anxiously.

Then it booted directly into Kubuntu. I was expecting some sort of GRUB menu, but there was no menu whatsoever in the boot process. I later found the GRUB menu, but alas, there were 3 entries and all of them were for Kubuntu. I restarted the computer again, and again straight to Kubuntu. Now I couldn't even reach Windows Vista. I did not expect Kubuntu 6.06 to overwrite the MBR.

SECOND TRIAL

Then I decided to start over. This time, I once again started with Windows Vista installation, wiped the HDD clean, and created 60GB 1st partition NTFS and ~20GB 2nd partition Free space. After the installation completed, I DID NOT install any drivers or updates, and went immediately to the Kubuntu installation. Lo and behold, the "Manually edit the partition table" worked this time around! I then tried to create 2 new partitions out of the free space: 2GB Swap, and 18GB root (/) ext3. But for some strange reason, I can only define the characteristics of only 1 of the created partitions, but not both. As a result, I created 2GB Swap, and left the 18GB as free space, then selected "Use largest block of free space for the installation" again. This time around, Installation completed, I took out the CD, restarted the computer.

It booted yet again, straight to Kubuntu. GRUB showed no sign of Vista at all, again. And in the installation, it apparently ONLY used the 18GB free space and created another partition of Linux swap; rendering my pre-partitioned 2GB swap, more-or-less unrecognized or useless.

THIRD TRIAL AND SUCCESS!

I decided to start from scratch again. I popped the Kubuntu CD in, restarted my computer, and I returned to the Kubuntu Live CD environment. I used QTParted, and wiped my HDD clean. This time, I created a 60GB 1st partition free space, and then, 2GB 3rd partition swap, and 18GB root(/) 2nd partition ext3. Kubuntu installed successfully, and then I went ahead and installed Windows Vista Ultimate into the 60GB. Upon successful completion of the Vista Ultimate Installation, and booting straight to Vista, I installed EasyBCD 1.7, and it successfully managed the dual booting of both Vista and Kubuntu.

I updated Windows Vista drivers, installed all basic programs, and brought Vista up to speed. I then went into Kubuntu, and everything was running fine; my computer found the school wireless network without difficulty, internet was browsable. I followed this tutorial http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...howpage&pid=28 from page 9 to page 13, i.e., I only updated necessary system updates, and wanted to follow the tutorial more at a later time. I turned off my laptop.

PRE-CURSOR TO PROBLEM

I then returned to my apartment (where we use WPA wireless network, not WEP). and repeatedly used Windows Vista to install some engineering programs and games. I spent all of my time in Vista, and did not touch anything that would jeopardize partition tables or Linux Integrity. Then I thought I should get Kubuntu up to speed, and logged into Kubuntu. However, I noticed that the clock is consistently 4 hours off. I changed the clock time, then restarted and logged into Kubuntu again, and it was STILL 4 hours off. I then did not think much of it, and tried to access the internet. There was no internet, so I tried the WLAN Manager, but it would not open and showed something similar to the context of this message "There are no available networks so WLAN Manager will now close." I thought it might have been WPA-induced, but what still puzzled me was there are more than 6 other wireless networks around our apartment, it is indeed very strange that it failed to detect any of them. Then I shut off my computer, thinking I'll solve the problem at a school lab.

PROBLEM

Logging into Kubuntu now, I cannot change the clock time (and it is still 4 hours off), nor can I access the internet. When I try to change the clock time or access "WLAN Manager", this error message would grace the screen: "Su returned with an error". I tried to access Network Settings under "Administrator mode", it would also return the error "Su returned with an error." When I open the terminal, the terminal prompt would say

protocolterra@(none):~$

I did some research and some people suggested fiddling around with this sudoers file. When I try:

nano /etc/sudoers

It returns an error: [ Error reading /etc/sudoers: Permission denied ]

On top of all of this mess, when I visit "System Settings" -> Disk and Filesystems, it shows the 60GB Windows Vista partition as a swap partition. The original 2GB that was suppose to be the swap, is not listed as such. Running KDE System Guard, it says I don't have any swap space.

PLEAD

If any of you gurus out there can offer some advice to fix this problem, it would really be appreciated. I don't want to wipe my HDD again because my Windows Vista is completely set up and ready to go. I want Kubuntu because I wish to obtain gcc and mostly code on this OS. It is my wish to continue using EasyBCD1.7 to manage booting because I feel GRUB has not delivered. Please help.

Re: Requesting Help: &quotual Booting & its Aftermath" Woes

I am not sure what you are following reference sudoers, but I can help with that. You need to type:

sudo nano /etc/sudoers

then enter your password.

Comment

when I try

sudo nano /etc/sudoers

this error appears:

sudo: unable to lookup (none) via gethostbyname()

Also, when I simply try

su

It prompts for my password. I enter it, but this shows up:

su: Authentication failure, Sorry.

I have been using the same password for everything. I am very confused.

Comment

Does

cat /etc/hostname

show anything. Is there such a file? It should have your chosen machine name from when you installed.

cat /etc/hosts

should have a line
        127.0.0.1 localhost
        that has your machine name on it as well OR there should be a separate 127.0.0.1 line with the machine name in it. This should match the name in /etc/hostname

Is this the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Fly High
          su: Authentication failure, Sorry.
          By (K)Ubuntu default, su(x) is not working properly (further reading).

Comment

I tried

cat /etc/hostname

and it simply gave me a blank line, then the prompt again.

I tried

cat /etc/hosts

and the 127.0.0.1 localhost line did appear. There is also another 127.0.0.1 line with my machine name on it.

I also tried

sudo passwd root

and received:

sudo: unable to lookup (none) via gethostbyname()

I'm pondering wiping my HDD again, set up the partitions again, but this time, I will bring Kubuntu up to speed first, rather than Vista, and see if that solves anything.

Comment

Boot into recovery mode by hitting Esc when you see the grub menu on boot and choosing the recovery option. This will give you root, you won't have to run sudo to do anything.

Then run nano /etc/hostname to edit the hostname file. Simply add a line that has nothing but your machine name, that exactly matches the machine name in your hosts file 127.0.0.1 line. Hopefully this will fix your sudo problem and then we can try to go from there.

I would hold off before reinstalling.
              As a note, if you do reinstall in future I would do the partitioning using linux fdisk before running the installer, rather than trying to do it through the installer. You can run man fdisk to see commands and help. You will be able to specify partition sizes with, for example, +15000M to specify 15 GB. You would also set the partition types to the proper ext3, swap etc. Then you should reboot after you write out any partition table before you try to install. In the installer you can then choose manual again when it asks to partition but simply tell it to use the proper ext3 partition for / and the right one for swap.

I have found partitioning through the installer to be very finicky.

Comment

Thank you for the advice, but I was a little too hasty... yet not too brash. After I replied to the post, I wiped out the ~20GB linux partition; the windows partition is still intact and healthy ( hda(0,0), I think ). I look to only reinstall Kubuntu again. However, I tried using GParted to set up the Linux partitions in the LiveCD, but it would refuse to open, while the partitioning program in the installer (which is probably also GParted) also refuses to work right now; I postulate this is caused by my Windows being up-to-date, as was proven true in my FIRST TRIAL.

You speak of this fdisk; is this program reachable on the LiveCD? Or is there any other way to set up Linux partitions from Windows, then restart and have the Kubuntu Installer take control of the partitions?

Another problem/question: For some strange reason, Kubuntu 6.06 LTS likes to overwrite the MBR with GRUB; not only does it do that, it also refuses to provide an entry for Windows (I thought GRUB automatically did this through the myriad dual boot HOWTOs I've read, but apparently it does not like Windows Vista?); thusly killing all entry to windows. Must I go manually edit this in GRUB? I've read somewhere yesterday that this is possible. I just wanted to doublecheck that this is reliable information.

Comment

yes you can run fdisk through the livecd.

I have never had problems with grub properly setting up dual boot, but I have never run vista and always set up fat32 partitions.

Here are a couple of sets of instructions I found for dual booting with vista that seem sound. One is for installing vista first, one for installing vista afterward.

http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_b...nstalled_first

http://apcmag.com/5045/how_to_dual_b...sta_with_linux

Something that I am reading about in numerous places is the importance of using vista's disk management controls to shrink the vista partition. I have also read that you should turn off restore points while doing this. The link above goes into detail about shrinking the partition with vista.

Then use fdisk and leave the vista partition alone. Simply use the remaining space to set up an ext3 partition and a small swap partition at the end of the drive.

Before you do any of these things though yes, if your vista partition is intact you should be able to construct the necessary grub entries without having to reinstall. I don't know why the installation doesn't want to recognize your vista install.
                  If you run sudo fdisk -l (that's a lowercase letter L for "list") paste the results here.

Comment

The apcmag.com links you posted are also some of the first links I visited for the dual boot research. I read it again and realized something.

This was quoted from apcmag.com:
                    This is an updated tutorial - we previously used Ubuntu 6.10 and then modified the GRUB bootloader to force Ubuntu to recognise the Vista partition. In this tutorial, we'll use Ubuntu 7.04 which does a much better job in interacting with Vista. We'll use the Vista management tools to resize the main partition and install Ubuntu into the freed space.
                    I am going to boldly assume that all (K)Ubuntu versions before 6.10 have much trouble recognizing Windows Vista; even to the extent that the GRUB menu must be edited from the ground-up. This could explain why 6.06 had such trouble co-existing with my Vista.

I ran fdisk but unfortunately fdisk did not recognize my harddrive configuration, hence there were no partition tables to look at. I used the command "L" and saw all the file system types, but the list is too extensive and I am on another computer, so I will not paste them here.

I'm done with this fight with Dapper Drake. I'm going to try Feisty Fawn. Opie, thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X