This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modem Recognition

I have Linux Ubuntu (using KDE) 6.06 installed and have been using it for many months with an external Best Data 56K V.92 Universal RS232 serial modem.
    (The Conexant internal modem, Conexant PCI Soft V92 SmartSpeakerphone Modem, I had used for my XP did not work with the 6.06.)

I ordered the 7.04 CD from the Linux Store and installed it on a second hard drive by itself. It won't recognize the modem and I can't get on-line.

Because I had planned to anyway, I also ordered the Christian Edition CD, knowing it was based on the 7.04, and it also does not recognize the external modem.

I've been reading a lot of posts, but nothing seems to apply.

Re: Modem Recognition

Hello,
    After reading your post, I found the following article with instruction on how to set up an internet connection using Kppp Dialer:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081122.0

I hope you find it useful and can get your modem up and running,
    integr8e
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Just a note,because I was confused,the -PHONE-,-username-,-password- are all the ID stuff you setup with your ISP,NOT your home phone and Kubuntu name and password.I had to ask to be sure.HTH.

Comment

Hi and thanks. Yes I used the isp information. This was the same info I used when I set up the external modem I bought which the 6.06 Dapper Dan Linux recognized.

I did the same modem set-up for the 7.04 Feisty Fawn Linux after I installed it, but it just won't recognize the modem. Someone told me that if you have a newer kernel, that sometimes it won't recognize a modem that an older kernel will recognize.

The options were to get an updated driver (which I can't find), get a new modem (external or internal). So I'm at a standstill until I can find the driver for my current modem, or know which modem to buy that will work.

Comment

/dev/modem often isn't correct. Did you follow the advice of the link integr8e gave and use

sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

to find the modem?

You can also either dmesg | grep 16550 or open /var/log/dmesg and search for 16550.
          This should lead you to a line like:

ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

One of these lines will be your modem
          Then in kppp config when you edit the config / modems tab/ edit button/ devices tab you will see "modem device". You would choose modem /dev/ttyS0 (or whatever your result was) instead of /dev/modem.

Note that you need to apply the change and exit the dialogue before you try to query the modem using the button available in the modem tab next to the devices tab. If you immediately try to query the modem without doing this it will not be recognized.

Comment

Thank you again. I need to clarify. My original post said I use KDE on 6.06. This is the only way I can access this on-line site. When I use 6.06 Linux, I can detect the external serial Best Data modem in Ubuntu Gnome or KDE.

The problem is when trying to detect the modem in the 7.04 kernel, using Ubuntu Gnome, and the same technique as I did with Gnome and 6.06.

(So using KPPP instructions won't apply, unless I set the 7.04 up as KDE...correct?)

Comment

Correct, but there should be similar options in gnome.

For example, if you are configuring through system-administration-networking or if you are using gnome-ppp there should be modem tabs where you can choose the device or modem port. The principle is the same. You may have /dev/modem chosen and you may instead need to set it to something like /dev/ttyS0. You would use the same techniques described here to figure out how to access the modem port/16550 UART.

Have you tried running sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

and looked in the var/log/dmesg file for 16550A lines?

Comment

Yes I did. Here is what I found...

Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- 56000
                ttyS0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
                ttyS0<*1>: Max speed is 115200; that should be safe.
                ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
                ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
                ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 --
                ttyS1<*1>: failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
                ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 --
                ttyS1<*1>: and failed too at 115200, giving up.
                Modem Port Scan<*1>: S2 S3

Found a modem on /dev/ttyS0.
                Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.
                ttyS0<Info>: Speed 115200; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"

In the "sudo var/log/dmesg" search, it said it found no such file.
                I tried simply "var/log/dmesg" also with same results.

Comment

ok you will need to use /dev/ttyS0

How are you trying to connect in gnome? Are you using gnome-ppp or are you going through the System / administration/ networking interface?

Comment

Yes, I'm using the /dev/ttyS0, although I've also tried the others.

When I'm on the 7.04 Linux...

1. I can set up the modem using SYSTEM / ADMINISTRATION / NETWORKING,
                    (but it starts it up and then drops the connection within a few seconds)
                    2. When I go to APPLICATIONS / INTERNET...Gnome ppp is not listed.
                    3. I find Gnome ppp in Synaptic Packages, but can't install since can't get on-line.

Comment

If the modem is dialing out and then dropping the connection then accessing/recognizing the modem isn't the problem.

1. First try disabling your ethernet connection, if it is configured, in the system/administration/networking section where you set up your modem connection. Can you keep a connection running now?

2. If 1 doesn't work then:

kate /etc/ppp/options

Do a search for the following in that file:

noauth
                      crtscts
                      xonxoff

Tell me whether they are set, that is if they are on their own line without a # sign before them.

Also see this:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/setting-up...in-ubuntu.html

Try using the pppconfig section and the section that follows it called "connecting to your isp" which tells you how to connect using the name of the connection you created in pppconfig. See if you can connect this way and, if you can't, we will try to fiddle with the configuration a bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X